Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What does your  dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you? >

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Power Poster

I wonder what does your daughter or son in love, DIL or SIL, call you? My oldest boy is 24 and will be marrying this February. My daughter in love just wrote me a note and called me mama plus our surname. I like it sofar. The name mother in law makes my hair stand up since it has such a negative connotation to me. I think I even use my husbands mother over saying mother in law. OK I can see you are reading this but what do they call you. LOL
Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 PM

From the other side... I call my MIL by her first name. My SIL calls her "mom", but I can't bring myself to do it. I love Sue dearly and think that she is wonderful, but she isn't my mother!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltnerd
From the other side... I call my MIL by her first name. My SIL calls her "mom", but I can't bring myself to do it. I love Sue dearly and think that she is wonderful, but she isn't my mother!
I appreciate your feedback. When I got married 25 years ago I called my husband's parents mama and papa but they told us they wanted to be called by their first names including by their grand children. It made them feel old.They are not that motherly or fatherly so I guess it fits. Odly enough now 27 years later, they want to be called mother , father and grandpa/grandma but I now feel weird about it after so many years especially since we do not have that kind of relationship. Actually when DH and I got married I was told I was not part as it was not the same. This was just not about me or personal but for anyone their chidlren went with or married. They are very much focussed on themselves and their 4 children above any son or daughters by marriage and even the grand children. It is the way it is and I do not think it is meant to be malice.

I have 14 children,~ 2/3 by adoption and~ 1/3 by birth and they call me mama including some of their friends. So being called mama by none biological children or adults is not unusual to me. I thought that my son's wife to be would call me by my first name as she does with her father's new wife but I am pleasantly surprised to have the mama part with it. I did not realize I would feel different or care but it makes me happy.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Power Poster

I called my inlaws Mom and Dad...
One SIL calls me Mom the other by my first name. I am happy with what they are comfortable with :D:D:D
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM

some call us Mom and Dad, others use our first names. our kids do the same with their inlaws. some of my kids friends cal me mom, too. It doesn't matter to me which they use
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
I called my inlaws Mom and Dad...
One SIL calls me Mom the other by my first name. I am happy with what they are comfortable with :D:D:D
I think the relationship is the most important. You are right what ever they are comfortable with.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM

My DD calls me mom or mother at times lol.. son says momma when he wants something. lol. he is 30! My son in law calls me Theresa as we have had our bouts ! lol He loves me but we clash sometimes. My DGS;s call me mammaw and my step granddaughter well it is eaither chee chee, or tresa (she couldnt say theresa) sometimes it is mammaw . Now my dear friends at work call me Momma "T". I am the oldest worker there lol..
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 AM

We called our parents and parents-in-law mum and dad, our sons call us mum and dad, also our DIL. our G.children call us nanna and grandad.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 AM

They just use my name. We are more like friends than in-laws. We don't see my DH parents so we have "other" names for them....LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 AM

My sons-in-law call me by my first name which I like a lot.