Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from sewing?

Nothing !!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

not a single thing.....unless my feet get tired...and even then I hand sew in the chaise lounge......my sewing machines are set up so I can sew standing and set for different applications....one with walking foot, one with awsome straight stitch (301A), the serger of course..and I go from one tothe other with a little dancing step....and then I wake up.

Taking care of my mentally challenged daughter (30), making sure my 90 year-old mom is doing ok - she still lives
    on her own!! 1 Dog, 2 cats, groceries, laundry, living in an apartment while we build a home - just normal life for
    me in general! I did manage to get a fall wall-hanging kit put together (after purchasing it 4 years ago!).

Blog Entries
    For me, it is mostly my job. I work 12 hour nights and they leave me worn out. And I watch my grandchildren every other weekend and Friday. But I try to sneak in a little now and then. I am at least getting some hand-sewing done on my grandmother's flower garden hexagon quilt at night when I am off and the kiddos are asleep.
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This kept me from quilting yesterday!
    OMG!!!!!!!! Is that a snake?

Blog Entries
    Reading is a great deterrent for me --when I get into a good book everything else is put on hold. Baking, as I am starting on my Christmas Cookies, make over 20 different kinds and freeze. But the real problem is lack of confidence in my work, as I near the end of the project I put it aside and start a new one - guess I am afraid to see the finished project. I have so many WIPs I cannot count them.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Mine too. Grants Pass, here we come! Winter home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
    Right now most of my sewing room is packed and ready to move.

So many things! Housework, garden,yard work, and commitments outside the home. Then, I can't sit for more than 30 minutes, and right now, standing is not possible. I do what I can, but there is never enough time to get much done.

Blog Entries
    I would never go in that room again!
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    grandkids and home renovation
    QuiltnNan, I right there with you!! ...and baseball and soccer games!!

These beautiful fall colors! Had a really nice rain yesterday afternoon that forced me inside from trying to get the lawn mowed and leaves blown off of it. Just sat down at the machine when the power went off and stayed off for over an hour so I had a little nap. Back outside this morning to see if I can finish the yard work, but that will be hard to do as I am afraid I will be looking up at the trees trying to take in all their beauty.

Banned
    spending way too much time on the computer - here and a thousand other sites

Blog Entries
    Reading all the stuff on this board! I really love it but have to limit my time here!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

sometimes for me Life just gets in the way...sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Shoot, that's hardly a snake...looks more like a long worm!
    Today i was kept from sewing by:
    sleeping late
    setting up the machine so mom could quilt her placemats
    setting the washer so Mom could do her laundry at my house
    making Mom and me tacos for lunch
    cleaning up the kitchen
    starting another laundry load for Mom
    fixing a jammed machine for Mom
    answering the phone
    refilling a bobbin for Mom
    cutting some strips for my own project-in-progress (for the past week and a half!)
    being on baby-holding duty for the neighbor who needed to walk the dogs for 20 minutes
    loading Mom's antique quilt into my washer for her
    loading Mom's antique quilt into the dryer for her

I plain pooped of waiting on everybody else!! And now i don't even want to sew.

Jan in VA
    You did a lot of stuff for mom, and you seem exhausted. You will continue to do, and be happy to do so. I do a lot of stuff for mom, and I am totally grateful she is still here to ask me to do. Mom is 84, still drives, goes to the gym a couple of times a week, and I'm just thrilled
    Barri

Complete lack of motivation and restlessness is my reason. No doubt I'll settle down soon. By the way, that snake might have been tiny but I'd be forced to move. Nothing on this earth scares me more.

O.K.......Lets start with a husband who is 17 years older than I am. I spend a lot of time Turing lights off and closing doors and cupboard doors. Oh yes...and turning the water off in the kitchen or bathroom whenhe forgets to turn them off! The best one was last week when I came in from mowing the lawn and the frig. Door was wide open. That's just the beginning........I do all the house work, cook all the meals, mow the lawn, edge it and blow the side walks clean. It is now pecan season so I spend a couple of hours a day picking the little buzzards up. I forgot to mention that my sisters husband is dying of cancer so I am at her house almost daily to help her with him. Some how I fit in going to the store to buy food so I can keep cooking the meals my hubby likes! Is that enough? Really, life is good and God is good.

I'm lazy. I have plenty of time to sew...most of the time...

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 3.5 year old boy, 2.5 year old girl, and a 3-month old girl, so most people understand when I don't get much or anything done...
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

Life! A job with long hours, other interests, travel, exhaustion. I try to carve out one day every few weeks that I concentrate on quilting. That's when I get most of my projects done. I am just not good at doing a little bit at the end of a long day.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    CYN: OMG that would keep me from quilting too !LOL and work !real work to pay the bills and then housework or yardwork
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Please tell me the snake brought that creature in the house and it didn't just find it's way in on it's own!!! I'd never go in that room again!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww is that a real snake??? Hope it was a kind non venomous snake. :0
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Since I am a longarm machine quilter, my work cuts down on my time to quilt for myself, also I have outside work in the summer to do, teach an adult ed advanced quilting class twice a week currently, much needed house work as well as trying to keep my shop picked up. Seems there is always something pulling at me to do but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adnil458 View Post
    After my neighbor vacuumed leaves in the common area, he let me use his machine...which led to cutting bushes, hostas, etc. haven't even had time to get on board or sew a stitch. It is so beautiful outside in the Carolinas. Life is good
    Garden work or anything else never keeps me from sewing. EXCEPT------I had the quilt all put together and was in the process of tying it down - mistake - one row on the block was upsidedown. I looked at it - "Only God is perfect". That didn't work. "Nobody will notice it". That didn't work. So I let it sit there with the block staring me straight in the face and I could not do anything with that quilt -- not in good conscience, that is. So, for two days I took that block out of between the sashing, corrected the row in the block, put everything all back and I pinned it back down and it is all ready to begin tying again. I learned that by saying "Only God is perfect" is an insult to Him. I learned that I am supposed to be in His likeness and He wouldn't sluff off a mistake by blaming God! So, it is ready for me to tie the quilt down now. Would have yesterday, but grandkids took precedence! There is a little mistake in it - one of the points is not spot on, but I can live with that!!!!!!

So, off to grocery shopping now and then home to sit and sew for a while. Enjoy the day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Annual physical and, you are RIGHT, it was a beautiful day in the Carolinas, just NOT for seeing a doctor! I have been cutting up my stash into layer cakes and jelly rolls at my big cutting table on the porch this week. I need to get a bunch ready for when it's too cold out there for cutting. I am making great progress but I have to make myself keep cutting. Each batch makes me "itch" to get to the piecing! Project Linus blankets are so worthwhile to make and I love doing them.

For those of you who long for retirement: I get to sew and "mess" with fabric every day! I look out on the sound from where I sew and I am so blessed. The only times I am not here sewing is when we are visiting family or when DH says it's time for a road trip usually to find me fabric! Even when I worked, I sewed something every night. It was my "thing" for me and my sanity. Now I am the sanest person I know!
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 10-19-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast