Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to make for Little Boys - Besides Quilts - Suggestions please

What to make for Little Boys - Besides Quilts - Suggestions please

I have made my grandsons quilts but I can't think of anything else to make. The girls are easy..I have made Totes, doll clothes, purses, etc. But I am stumped for the fellers! ages are 2-3. Would love to hear and see what you have made.

I've known little boys who love super hero capes, and they are easy to make...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Stuffed dinosaurs?

A play mat with tracks or roadways & purchased cars or train?

For some unknown reason I am no longer able to post pictures to threads but I can post them in my profile. Anyway if you go to my profile under "baby quilts" you will see one of a kite. It was simple to make and I made two of them. You might like it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    my DGS collected beyblades tops. so i made him a special tote for the tops and the arena they are spun in.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    A play mat with tracks or roadways & purchased cars or train?
    That's what I was going to suggest. I purchased a panel and just quilted around the roads and buildings. I can't find the picture of it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    For some unknown reason I am no longer able to post pictures to threads but I can post them in my profile. Anyway if you go to my profile under "baby quilts" you will see one of a kite. It was simple to make and I made two of them. You might like it.
    That is so cute!! Enjoyed your other quilts too and wondered about the last one in Baby Quilts....it says "Baby Panel Quilt"......were the baby pics on it really in a panel? That is adorable!!

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    How about a playmat that looks like a town . You could applique pieces to look like a garage or going through mountains, houses and maybe a fire dept. or something like that? How about a shortened version of a crayon tote but for matchbox cars ? Stuffed dinosaurs, monster, etc.. Fabric footballs or baseballs? Hackey sacks if they would play with them?
    Last edited by sewred; 04-18-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Boys like quillows- they enjoy doing the folding and stuffing. I've seen circular playmats laced with rope that draws up to make a sack. "Transforming" items are loved by boys. An I spy quilt? A quilt with superhero fabrics? Snuggly fleece on the back. The previously mentioned cape idea is terrific. I saw an idea for making a sleep mat from pillows- might have been on Martha Stewart. A Long length of fabric divided into pillowcase segments to hold regular pillows (removeable for washing) that folds up. I'll look for a link. Don't set the bar too high- the boys have a lot of growing up to do, and they'll Love a quilt.

Power Poster
    ​Someone posted pictures of their pajamas monsters a while back. They also had a link with the pattern? It was a monster pillow that the zipper was where the mouth was and you put the pajamas in the mouth and zipped it closed. I think the title might be Pajamas eaters?

Blog Entries
    Back packs for them to drag around their treasures in.

There are many tutes on the pillowcase mattress. Here's an easy one. http://bitofblueskyy.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html
    Other ideas- Zippered bags, crayon totes, sweatshirt jacket, anything personalized, origami bags for toys (google for many directions). Their own special dinnerware and placemats? Laundry bags? Anything that encourages cleanup after playtime. Have fun and show us what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    That is so cute!! Enjoyed your other quilts too and wondered about the last one in Baby Quilts....it says "Baby Panel Quilt"......were the baby pics on it really in a panel? That is adorable!!
    Yes they were a panel. I loved their vintage look.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Add to the many great ideas above .............. a fort or house or ? that slides over the top of a card table. You can put on all sorts of embellishments, inside and out, according to the theme you want to create including windows.

Similar could be done for the girls, but more of a playhouse theme and of course, girlie-girlie colours and decorative embellishments!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everyone loves those playhouses you put over a card table. Easy to set-up and easy to store when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Add to the many great ideas above .............. a fort or house or ? that slides over the top of a card table. You can put on all sorts of embellishments, inside and out, according to the theme you want to create including windows.

Similar could be done for the girls, but more of a playhouse theme and of course, girlie-girlie colours and decorative embellishments!
    I made these some years ago before there were patterns for them. They do love those.

There are so many great ideas...These can keep me busy for a long time! Thanks for all the posts and to all who may still post!

I saw these cute dinosaur tails on Pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/pin/295689531754834239/
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

My grandson's love pillowcases - you can make all kinds of "boy" cases.

I have four boys. They loved their quillows. I also made backpacks appropriate sizes from novelty fabrics. At one time we had a cookie monster tablecloth to fit the kid-size table. But their favorite sewn things were costumes - Peter Pan, Star Trek uniforms, super heroes, etc. And pajamas.

When my nephew was little my sister and I made him a stuffed camping site. It started with a remnant of green indoor/outdoor carpet, then we made stuffed rocks to sit on and smaller ones for the campfire ring, then we made the logs and fire. He had a little popup style tent that was made to go over a bed and we sat it on one corner of the carpet. His son now plays with it though we did have to make a new tent! lol

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I've known little boys who love super hero capes, and they are easy to make...
    Could you post your easy instructions?
    Material MiMi

I have made my grandsons laundry bags, with their names embroidered on them, to take back and forth to Grammy's, crayon bags with crayon pockets on the outside and the bag big enough to hold coloring books, travel pillows with their names on them, a bag to take to the library to carry their books home, and a cape for the youngest one. On that, I used the Superman logo but embroidered SUPER JIMMY on it for my grandson.
    Gloria 

PJ bottoms or the whole set. Totes in boy colors for their toys with small parts.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

a sleeping bag, stuffed animals, a carrying case for matchbox cars or action figures....usually camo works on anything for boys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast