Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    It was a Log Cabin quilt sew as you go and I gave it to my mother-in-law. That was about 30 years ago without one more quilt completed during that time although a couple more tops pieced. I started up a year ago and have completed 3, gave two away, have two tops ready to quilt and 3 more in various stages. Be careful, once the quilting bug bites, there is no end to the beautiful things you will want to make. Have fun trying to do them all!

Barn Door, made it huge to learn from it! The fabric ended up costing me about $300 altogether. Bought all the fabric from a quilting shop and the reds have some light spots over the years. My kids swear they'll fight over it, don't know why. I only have two other quilts that I've made, one of them is one I got back when my parents passed on.

My first was a fence rail, I never binded it and yes I still have it somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Rail Fence. No, I didn't keep it, gave it as a retirement gift to a very special lady!

Nine Patch

It was a Dresden Plate. My grandmother and I made the top when I was 17, and I was hooked on quilting for life. I carried that quilt top all over Texas for thirty-five years. My Mom finally quilted it in 1990 and I gave it to my son for a wedding gift.

First quilt was a disappearing 9 patch. Still having it hanging in my quilt room.

My first quilt was a log cabin and I kept it.

My first was a Broken Texas Lone Star. Yep..jumped in with both feet. Still have it. Made it because I have the one my GGM and GM had made and I wanted to have one like it. I still have that one, too.

Rail Fence---It was a quilt for my first grandbaby.

(New Daddy bleached it washing it in the first months--GRR :evil: , makes me glad I took pictures......so much bleach, some of the print fabric turned white!)

My first quilt was a doll quilt in 1951 with my Nana sitting next to me.
    The first real quilt I made was in 1966...a Dresden plate found in a woman's magazine. It was hand cut with scissors, the petals were stitched into a ring by machine and hand appliqued onto white blocks, sashed in red. Nope, didn't keep the magazine.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL Well my first quilt I was 9 years old so you can imagine, but my grandmother kept it in her car as a cover in case she got cold (she had a convertible!). But since then I have learned shortcuts, and made many others still not perfect, but then perfection is in the eye of the beholder !!

My first quilt was a stack and wack and my daughter has it.

My quilt was for my youngest GD. No pattern, just took her clothes that she had outgrown and made 6" squares and did a patchwork quilt. She really liked it because she remembers some of the little outfits used.

Blog Entries
    My first was a whole cloth girly quilt for my niece(4 yrs old) as a cuddle quilt. I wanted to try hand quilting. I think it took me 6 months to finish but was so cute!!! That's when the bug bit me!! She is now 26 working on her doctorate!:thumbup:

Queen sized Hole in the Barn Door - had fussy cut centers and cornerstones. Made in 1998. Was in the guest room for many years. Recently confiscated it and put on my bed. Needs some TLC where seam allowance was much less than 1/4 inch.

1976 - Aunt Sukey's Choice. Made for my youngest daughter. She still has it and now her daughter is using it.
    Hundreds more since then (many of them preemie quilts).
    Have given many away. Still have about 60-70 for myself.

I took a quilt in a day class..We made a log cabin.. Did not know a thing about colors.. but picked out some blues and pinks.. It has faded over the years but I still have it.. Have made many more since then..Love quilting..

Fun to think back! I believe my first one was alternating patches of red and blue with Superman appliqued from some retro fabric. I think I quilted stars where the corners met. My son was about 6 and loved Superman.

my very first quilt was one of those "puff quilts" and it was king-sized.....lots of little bits of fabric went into that.

It was a sampler quilt and I never finished it. BUT I will (someday) LOL

My very first one was 4 or 5" squares of velvets from scraps that I saved from upholstery jobs. I pieced them into rows, then sewed the rows into one big HEAVY quilt! I tied it to a sheet backing, had to use pliers to pull the needle through. It was of course too heavy to sleep under, but my purrbaby loved it! A few years later I borrowed a truck dolly and hauled it over to a friend's as a gift.
    The next "real" quilt I made was a log cabin, three of them actually. One for me, one for my Mom, and one for my sister. My MIL complained she didn't get one so I gave her mine. When she passed 11 years ago I got it back, so I finally own a queen quilt! But the colors are no longer to my taste so it sits in the cabinet...

My first quilt was a D9P and I made it for my DGD. Since I have officially become a quilter, I have not kept one of my quilts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    A nine patch, still have it. Made in 1981.
    :)

My first quilt was a Rail Fence and it is still sitting on a spare bed in my home. I cringe when I look at all the mistakes but it brings back happy memories when my mom was able to join me for the class.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast