Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

I LOVE all your responses! They are TOTALLY inspiring!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

My first quilt was a nine patch and I still have it.

A baby irish change about 20 years ago

My very first was a lap-sized Card Trick. I made it in a beginner's class at Joann's and still have it. I machine SID for the first time also. There are a few small puckers on the back, but I love it.

Mine was Irish chain pattern though I didn't know it at the time. Just bought the (lap size) pattern for beginner quilting class. I gave it to my mother who used it in her wheelchair to hide her catheter bag. She said she had many compliments on it (?!)at least it was a conversation piece. She died earlier this year, and I have the quilt now. I can't bear to part with it, so I guess someone else will have to make the decision about what to do with it one day.

mim
    some dear friend of your mother who is also in a wheelchair would treasure it and the memory of the happy days with your mother that she shared -- just a thought -- Mim
    Quote Originally Posted by fayeberry
    Mine was Irish chain pattern though I didn't know it at the time. Just bought the (lap size) pattern for beginner quilting class. I gave it to my mother who used it in her wheelchair to hide her catheter bag. She said she had many compliments on it (?!)at least it was a conversation piece. She died earlier this year, and I have the quilt now. I can't bear to part with it, so I guess someone else will have to make the decision about what to do with it one day.

Log cabin table runner in Christmas colors and it is used every year!

Blog Entries
    I saw a pic in a magazine, thought it was pretty & the rest is history.K size braid......of all diff colors & yes,I still have it, along my my 2nd quilt,a log cabin.It's so wonky,cause I had no clue what I was doing :D

Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

Blog Entries
    A ship quilt.... my sisters and I split up the # of blocks. I haven't kept a quilt yet.... that was in 1979

My second one was in a magazine too, the first one by Eleanor Burns, still have it although it is in rags

My first quilt was Eleanor Burns log cabin. I still have it. I took a class at my LQS. I didn't even know enough to bring my sewing machine. I had never seen a rotary cutter or cutting mat and that was only 3 years ago.

Dee
    A pre school nap quilt for my son, who will be 40 this Dec. He has it to keep.

My first quilt was a sampler of no fixed design. It was a lets try this and that type of quilt. My daughter claimed it and two other quilts that I have made and she uses them all winter.

Maybe1day

Yes, it was a Teepee quilt on the cover of a Quiltmaker magazine. I still have the quilt.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252...2/37524727.jpg

Trip Around the World and yes, I still have it.

a 9 patch lap quilt which I did at the classes I attended - still have it and every now and then take it out and think 'Oh my' did I really make that apart from the very in your face colours of vivid green and a dark blue the stitching and quilting leave me speechless!!!!!!!!! and not in a good way ha ha

My first pattern was YELLOW BRICK ROAD. a perfect introduction to quilting - it allows you to see how everything comes together so beautifully, but no complicated cutting. highly recommend it for a first quilt.

My first quilt was the "Pinwheel" pattern. My son and DIL just moved into a new home, and my DH and I were visiting. My DIL had come downstairs from putting my 3 and 4 yr. old granddaughters to bed, and said they wanted me to go up and say goodnight. When I was kissing them goodnight my 3 yr. old wrapped her arms around my neck, and asked me if I would make her a beautiful quilt for her bed. Never having made a quilt in my life, who could say no to that. So the very next day I went shopping for fabric. She is now in her third year of university. She still has her "beautiful quilt", and I am still quilting, and loving it.

I made a bed spread in a quilt pattern and then made curtains to match. I knew nothing about quilting and had no reference materials. I used it on the bed for about 10 years and relegated it to the cedar chest. So the answer to that is a Resounding "YES!"

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    Trip Around the world by Eleanor Burns. I used fabric from some king size pillow cases and fabric a friend of mine had that she no longer wanted. Low cost wall hanging. The seams were not perfect but it looked good. I just took it down and compared with my work I do now....wow what a difference. Now I use that for my kitties...

mim
    I wonder how many quilters Eleanor Burns inspired to do their first quilt. She always makes it look like so much fun-- I think of the joy a child playing in the mud puddle and laughing with glee. She has been a great ambassador of our quilting talents and addictions. -- Mim

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    My first quilt was Eleanor Burns log cabin. I still have it. I took a class at my LQS. I didn't even know enough to bring my sewing machine. I had never seen a rotary cutter or cutting mat and that was only 3 years ago.

Blog Entries
    My very first quilt was one I made in 1963 and all appliqued oak leaves. I still have it and it is displayed on a quilt rack in my living room and has never been used. A picture of it is in the picture section.

Blog Entries
    The first quilt I made was a log cabin, and I gave it to my oldest DD on her 25th birthday.

My first quilt was just something I made up. It was 2 inch squares in a zig\zag pattern. I made it for my then 6 year old nephew. My brother and nepher moved in with me after his divorce and I made him a quilt for his new room at my house. He still has my quilt, I told him when he gets married I will make him a new one. He is now 23 years old and has a very sweet girlfriend so how knows I may have to start thinking about what kind of grown up quilt he would like.

Mine was ninepatch and I do not still have it, house burned in 1997

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast