Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

Mine was a disappearing nine patch. Still have it hanging on the wall in my quiltroom.

I've worked on lots of quilts so I really don't remember my absolute first one. However the one that I put together and quilted all by myself was a University of Texas lap quilt. I gave it to my Dad when I finished it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first quilt was a sampler. Never finished. The blocks are in my orphan block box. My first FINISHED quilt was a table runner and I still have the book that the pattern was in. I kept the quilt.

My first was the rail fence, the teacher said "keep your first quilt", so I still have it 11 years later....
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    My first was a crib size hourglass for my next to oldest son who is now 15. Still have it, well used to the point that I need to do some major repairs to the extent of fabric adding.
    https://www.facebook.com/thelumbertoncottage/
    "If there is a will, there is a way" they say.

Banned
    Log Cabin
    I used it til it wore out
    Now in a closet and will be used some day in place of a batt in a quilt I make for myself

My first was a sun bonnet sue done with fabic paints. I did everything wrong. It has 5/8 seams and was made with a cotton/ poly blend fabric. I made it twin size for my DD's bed when she went from the crib to a big girl bed. She's now 38 and she still has the quilt. It's not one of my best ones but its sure been loved.

Quilt in a day king size log cabin, I gave it to my dad. It is stuffed in a closet . I should go swipe it!

Mine was a queen sized Drunkard`s Path , handpieced and handquilted called"The turtle that Wanted to Fly" and my daughter has it...took me two yrs to make....

I started quilting twenty+ years ago with a 'rail fence'. I kept the quilt on a guest bed in a spare bedroom, but the colors were all in the medium ranges and it didn't suit my love of contrast. I recently gave the quilt to my mom for her guest bedroom and she loves it. Rail fence is an easy pattern for the beginner. I graduated to a 'trip around the world' and then to log cabin and a sampler. I now design my own quilts and like to change things up a bit, mixing stars with log cabins and other variations. I recommend either the log cabin or the rail fence for a beginner - they work up fast and you can see them start to take shape, which is an encouragement to go on. Best of luck with your new (addictive) hobby!

I made my daughters handkerchief quilts. Big blue bandana handkerchiefs on one side and big red bandana handkerchiefs on the other side and tied with yarn. It's probably been about 17 years since I made them and both daughters still have them and use them. You know how the more an old handkerchief is washed the softer it gets. These quilts are soft and warm.

I made a queen size Lone Star because I didn't know any better 20 years ago. Bought a book & fabrics, followed the instructions, hand quilted it and, voila! Took forever but it's still on the bed in our guest room. :-)

Ha ha. I also made a queen size star (broken star) as my first quilt, about thirty years ago. All hand pieced and mostly hand quilted until I got to the filler squares around the edges to make it large enough. Got impatient, used machine on that area. It's on my bed now, but it is pretty ragged.

I have cut the diamonds for a replica but I could not duplicate all the fabrics. I did not want to duplicate the collected scraps that wore out, just the ones that lasted.Name:  broken-star-center.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  25.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
    I made a queen size Lone Star because I didn't know any better 20 years ago. Bought a book & fabrics, followed the instructions, hand quilted it and, voila! Took forever but it's still on the bed in our guest room. :-)

Blog Entries
    log cabin and I still have it
    Patski
    always learning

King size trip around the world! Still a top - since Jan. 2001. But boy it's gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was Trip Around the World, my second was Log Cabin. They were both from Quilt In A Day classes @ G Street in Centreville, VA. I had great help picking out the colors for #1 and still get compliments on it.

Log cabin, and yes, I still have it. I didn't make it out of 100% cotton, so it's pretty bullet-proof!
    M

My first quilt was 2 sheets tied together. that was 98 quilts ago. My favorite is log cabin. This one done yesterday. its 60 by 60.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

My first quilt, made in 2003, was a fan quilt. It took me 5 or 6 years to quilt it and yes, I still have it. But I haven't taken a picture of it since I quilted it. Name:  IMG_0799.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  384.1 KB
    Last edited by Jennie and Me; 03-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.

My very first quilt was a HS home ec project, completing and assembling blocks of state flowers embroidered and crayoned by my mom and her sister in the '30s. I finished the top and a little ole lady (the local chiropractor's mom) hand quilted it for us. After I got married we used it on our bed for over 20 years before the muslin started wearing out. Had it hanging on a quilt stand when our house burned about 10 years ago. Would like to recreate it someday.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

QM
    My first was a 9 patch. I still have it. One of these days I may bind it....or maybe not.

Trip around the world. I kept it. It is gone now though.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Mine was just a couple of years ago. It's a simple framed 9 patch that I got off of about.com. I kept it. It's on my bed and I love it! I look at it every night with pride. :-)

Not a traditional 'pieced' quilt, but, I found a pattern at a fabric store for a reversible puff quilt that I wanted for my bed. I used mostly scraps and made each puff square the same on both sides. I combined cottons, cotton/poly, no wale corduroy, and a velvet. The squares were joined together with a zig zag stitch. I used it forever and we all loved it. As some squares wore out, I made it twin size for my son and replaced the worn squares with ones that were still good. It's in my closet now, 36 years later! Maybe I should give it to my son! Wow! Memories this board brings to mind!!!
    Last edited by lenette; 03-08-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Lenette

Blog Entries
    A delectable sawtooth ,shades of blue and I name it mist in the mountains. I have it,I love it and would never part with it. it is on an old rocking chair .for a extra bed quilt, in my guest room.I still get comments on it.it was queen size,
    I saw some quilts in Gatlinburg Tenn, and they wanted 400.00 for it. I said I would never pay that much for a quilt .that was in the 7o"s so I bought a Kit and made it and hand quilted it, almost took a year to finish, would not take dble that now for it. Brought back memories ,when you ask this questions. CMARAS1234 PS I live in Fl so it doesnt get much use. hehe
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast