Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't?

I bought the babylock Jane and Majestic frame to set it up. You are right about it being too small. I am thinking of buying the Block Rocket, too. Wanted a HQ sweet 16 sit down because I have back issues but that is not in my budget.

Don't know what it is called but the ruler that has the cutting blade on it. I can never get my strips to be the same width.

Blog Entries
    A box/kit, whatever its called, of neutral quilting threads. I've never used them for quilting because I quilt with COLOR!! Have used some for piecing and gifted some too.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    That is the first thing I thought of.
    You can download the quiltcalc app for free. I use it all the time.

The quilt calculator is #1. It has been stuffed in a drawer for years. #2 would be the fabric I 'had' to have & have not used. That will have to go in a donation bin someday.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that suction cup handle for rulers--would not "stick', some ugly fabric. and way too many patterns!

the original Alto Cut in used condition.....the attached ruler is slightly scewed or crooked, and I can't get it straightened up. So it's collecting dust under my short-arm quilter.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

The Gingher seam ripper. It is very uncomfortable to hold when using it....it seems to want to twist in your hand. The end with the blade actually feels good to hold and use if the blade was at the other end. Bought it on sale....would rather have the money back.

Rotary blade sharpeners. I've bought 2 different kinds and neither work! They make the blade more dull.My DH is a genius and can't get then to work either.
    I have EQ6 and upgraded 7 and purchased Block Base. All the Block Base blocks are in EQ 7. Good grief!
    Have discovered paper piecing!
    OH YEAH

I have finally come to the realization that I cannot go into fabric stores unless I am seriously looking to buy something or I end up with fabric, a pattern or whatever may have caught my attention at the time. I love to browse the stores to get ideas but then also feel an obligation to buy since stores can't stay in business with mostly browsers. That even applies at stores that offer coupons; although, they have so many other things besides quilting supplies if I can just keep my focus out of the quilting section. LOL - so that is what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    I waste so much money trying to save money.
    So funny! I do this as well!

I bought the Alto Quilt 2 before the Go die cut was available. I only got perfect cuts with the first cut without measuring the whole piece again. I use it to rough cut fabric pieces to use in the Go so it's not a total lose. It's a quality made item, that's the only good thing I found about it.

I waste so much money trying to save money.

I see so many do this and it doesn't make sense! Buy the best for you that will work and last or don't buy it at all.

I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here. I have so much there isn't much I need right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
    I have finally come to the realization that I cannot go into fabric stores unless I am seriously looking to buy something or I end up with fabric, a pattern or whatever may have caught my attention at the time. I love to browse the stores to get ideas but then also feel an obligation to buy since stores can't stay in business with mostly browsers. That even applies at stores that offer coupons; although, they have so many other things besides quilting supplies if I can just keep my focus out of the quilting section. LOL - so that is what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    The Purple Thang. Didn't cost much, but I never use it...there are other things around the house that do the same thing. A bobbin holder that looks like a multi-armed octopus. The bobbin rings are better.
    Oh I love my purple thang lol, I have two of them. I know you can use other things but I do use these instead. I think the useless things I bought and I can't remember them now? are all gone lol.

What does everyone think of the Gingher rotary cutter? I have been drooling over one for years, but they cost so much more than my little blue Dritz (45mm) and my yellow Olfa (60mm). I know I can purchase one using a JoAnn Fabric coupon...but are they worth the additional dollars? And, are their rotary blades worth the additional dollars?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Narda H. View Post
    Rotary blade sharpeners. I've bought 2 different kinds and neither work! They make the blade more dull.My DH is a genius and can't get then to work either.
    I have EQ6 and upgraded 7 and purchased Block Base. All the Block Base blocks are in EQ 7. Good grief!
    Block Base has 4300 blocks and EQ has 5000 but not all blocks in BB are in EQ. I use those two programs a lot and usually I will find the block in BB first in a search and pull the block into EQ to change or add to or print out the way I want it. There are many times that I can't find the block in EQ so that leads me to believe that the blocks are different. I like that in BB you can search in a wildcard, name, number, keyword and source. The screen in BB is so much bigger and you can zoom the block etc. I do love BB and EQ. I don't think you wasted your money.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    Ditto! Waste of hard earned money!
    Triple that. I've never taken it out of the plastic "box".
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    What does everyone think of the Gingher rotary cutter? I have been drooling over one for years, but they cost so much more than my little blue Dritz (45mm) and my yellow Olfa (60mm). I know I can purchase one using a JoAnn Fabric coupon...but are they worth the additional dollars? And, are their rotary blades worth the additional dollars?
    Thanks!
    It's way too heavy for me. It's definitely not my go-to rotary cutter. I love love love the Kai. The blades last a long time.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Narda, Ok I check some more on the blocks in BB. 300 – 400 blocks (traditional favorites like Log Cabin) from BlockBase are also found in EQ. That leaves about 3,600 blocks in BlockBase, not found in EQ7. I thought you might like this information. You will love BB.

The supreme slider. I thought it would be wonderful but to me it isn't. Also The Fabulous Fabric Glide for FMQ.( It is kind of like the Halo) I thought it would help with my quilting but it really just gets in my way. I guess it is ok for smaller items but I don't use it.

I bought the Gingher cutter to try out. I like it. It's heavier then the others I have and takes less pressure to cut. I don't remember the price so it's been worth it to me whatever it was. I use the Gingher blades or any of the others in it. I can't tell much difference in the name brand blades.

A strip cutter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    The Purple Thang. Didn't cost much, but I never use it...there are other things around the house that do the same thing. A bobbin holder that looks like a multi-armed octopus. The bobbin rings are better.
    I agree with The Purple Thang. I use my stiletto all the time which does better for me. It's true, it didn't cost much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I bought the quilt calculator. It can calculate how much fabric you need to buy when you new so many squares, strips, etc. I don't think I have ever used it
    I've used mine twice but I can do it quicker in my head.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I've bought some fabrics and patterns that I will probably never use, but as for sewing tools, I don't regret buying any that I have. I've just always believed if you are a crafter, you should have good tools.........not unnecessary tools, but the ones that make it easier for the job at hand, and produce a nicer, finished project.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast