Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to buy at a craft fair - and how much will you pay for it?

Power Poster

What are you willing to buy at a craft fair - and how much will you pay for it?

One of the few things I actively look for at craft fairs are the crocheted nylon scrubbies.
    I will pay up to $1.00 each for them.

I think this might be one of the few items that a crafter might be able to break even on.

Otherwise, I am mostly a "looker" -

What will you buy? and for how much?

I'm usually just a 'looker' also. Many years ago I did pay $40.00 for a dried flower wreath to hang above my fireplace. I've also purchased carved wooden Christmas ornaments. They were all under $10.00.

I see many sewn things that I like, but then think that I could make that myself. I never do though.

I think most crafters only make money if they don't count their time. Which is fine, as long as they are aware of it, and still enjoy what they are doing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have been to craft fairs and it just depends on the time of year/ holiday theme or such. I have also participated in craft fairs and did quite well with hat stand centerpieces. The Halloween stands I made the most money on. I got a lot of orders. Had a portfolio and also did different showers. Bridal and baby showers. Some stands were only a couple inches tall and others up to 20-24 inches. It was nice for a few years but costs went up so much. I never took an order without a deposit though. Didn't matter if it was relative or co-worker. If they canceled their order after I started on it, I kept the deposit.

Power Poster
    I buy crafts that I don't do like stained glass, wood working etc. I also buy knitted things that I could do myself but would take a loooong time for me.

I buy knitted washcloths, for some reason I just like them. I also buy handmade jewlery and I like those things that hang in the window that bring color into the room. But I must admit I don't buy much, but we all should to help out our fellow crafters.

i also like knitted/ crochet dishcloths. the old canning jars.. wooden bowls for a prim look..
    ​DEBRA

Blog Entries
    I buy what i can't do. or don't have time to do . like knitting or stained glass or fused glass. If it's quality, i have no problem paying top dollar, but assembly line junk, i have no desire for. lately, the fairs i;ve been at are all imported scarves and junk. very dissappointed.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

When I saw the title of this post I immediately thought about the crocheted nylon scrubbies -- that is about the only thing I buy at a craft sale -- and then I stock up. I do have a pattern to make them, just haven't taken the time. I knit dish clothes for everyone in my family every Christmas.

If I like it I buy it, as long as it is reasonably priced. I look at it this way, I couldn't duplicate it because all crafts, I think, are individual to the crafter, which makes the piece unique. Does that make sense?? lol
    Kitty

I lok for African Violets. I manage to kill one or two a year and our craft shows often feature green-thumbed people who raise and sell the violets so I need replacements.

My Mom makes those scrubbies. The cost of the nylon net has gotten so high, that she barely breaks even at $1. Also for those who haven't tried it yet--the nylon is very hard on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I buy crafts that I don't do like stained glass, wood working etc. I also buy knitted things that I could do myself but would take a loooong time for me.
    I agree with Tartan. I ONLY buy the items that I don't want to make or don't have the time or don't have the talent to make.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    I lok for African Violets. I manage to kill one or two a year and our craft shows often feature green-thumbed people who raise and sell the violets so I need replacements.

Had an aunt that watered hers with tea water...a little from her cuppa....grew like crazy.....all my inside plants are silk! Outside..I buy perennials, and Mother Nature takes over, I just keep weeds out!

As far as buying a craft fairs...if it something really unusual ( and I cannot copy) and reasonable I may buy it......but like mentioned, many things lately are manufactured and brought in, or just mass produced stuff...not interested at craft fair prices

Seldom buy anything anymore. Too much stuff already.

Power Poster
    has to be something very ususal i kind of quite going to crafts shows same ole same ole
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    You are asking a crowd that can make their own items and probably do not buy handmade things because we make our own. People who do not craft or sew are willing to pay more money for handcrafted items. I am always shocked at how much money non-crafters are willing to pay.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

I'm a looker, not a spender. I love to look for new ideas. If I do purchase something, it will usually be a plant or food item like local honey.

Quote Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
    My Mom makes those scrubbies. The cost of the nylon net has gotten so high, that she barely breaks even at $1. Also for those who haven't tried it yet--the nylon is very hard on your hands.
    I was going to say the same thing dottie! Really hard on the hands, and worth far more than a buck
    They also make good cutting mat scrubbers, I have two in my quilt room.

Blog Entries
    I don't go to craft shows--the "cute" factor is usually too high for me.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

I don't go often, but when I do, I buy dish towels that have knit/crochet tops (you can hang the towel on your fridge or stove). I try not to pay more than $3.50 each.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I guess I'm the only one who buys more expensive things! I rarely go to craft shows though. I've spent up to $10 for a really cute potholder or a cute squirrel Christmas ornament. And I've actually spent over $20 for a Halloween tablerunner - it was cute and I thought I could make one but for that amount it was cheaper to buy it. Also I bought an apron that was over $20.
    Lori

I usually look and talk myself out of buying by saying, "I can do that."

I also mainly look but do purchase certain items each yr. for gifts to send back to MI that are locally made. Goat milk soap & just found a local honey that would also be a good gift item. Most sewn items I could probably do.

Blog Entries
    I buy whatever jumps out at me and is unique, made well and/or is in colors and designs I cannot duplicate. Yes, it's true, most things we see we can duplicate at home but, the truth is, we say that, but rarely do. It's fresh in our mind for maybe 24 hrs and then details get rather fuzzy. And, I've found that to duplicate, in the end, costs more sometimes, especially if we only make one, than what we could have paid at the craft show.

As a "crafter", I look for quality first. Some times I wonder when I see some of the offerings.? As for purchases over the years, it is usually for gifting. I have purchased for others, hand made wine stopper, a friend who decorates southwest has been the recipient of pottery that is painted turquoise and chile peppers. Another friend, my sister and I received a birdhouse carved out and made from wood kill. It looks like the branch, with a roof, and clean out hole. I have one that shows the worm channels in it. I have purchased jewelry, and hand dyed silk scarves. I really just depends, however like most, if I can make it, I probably won't buy it.
    Happy quilting.
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast