Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite cookbook??

What is your favorite cookbook?? I just ordered Christy Jordans new cookbook and I can't wait to get it! I am sure it will be my favorite!!

Hmmm

Would have to be the ones with stories in them. My cookbooks are in storage so I can't read the titles.

actually....all recipes.com or the internet....i do better this way then with a traditional book. there are too many recipes i'd never use in a book to justify buying it. Seems i have the same problem with cd's. I like one or two songs not everything on an album....

The Better Homes & Gardens Cook book, then, my copy of Southern Cooking from 1970......Other than those two, I just make it up as I go.

Mrs. Beeton's book of household management (1861):
    http://books.google.com/books?id=fD8...page&q&f=false

I've made a couple of things out of this one. It's fun to look through. :)

I have quite a few cook books but seem to make only one or two recipes in them. My newest favorite book is My Excite search or google, I can find tons of recipes for whatever I feel like making. May in Jersey

I too, have a lot of cookbooks. There are two that really show I use them: a cookbook published by a ladies auxilairy of a local fire company in 1952 and a Pennsylvania Dutch cook boklet that you can probably still pick up in gift shops in Lancasater, pa. There are pages that are so messed up! I should know those recipes by heart really!

The one I keep inside my brain.

I learned to cook from my Dad, he never used a cookbook. Always by taste and smell. I do have cookbooks, measuring devices. But I do most of my cooking by memory and dry ingredients are measured in the palm of my hand.

I love the Fixit and Forget series of crockpot cookbooks. I really don't like cooking that much- but crockpot cooking I can handle.

My Betty Crocker that I have had for 37 1/2 years

Taste of Home magazines and cookbooks are my favorite. Course my DH would say I have 942 of them, and she uses them all (which I don't but he likes to makeup stories). I also use Allrecipes.com when looking for a certain ingredient, grilled salmon on untreated cedar used on grill for example.

I like the old cookbooks. I look for old pre 50's cook books.
    I was a yard last weekend and came up on this file box full of old family heirloom recipes for $2. I couldn't believe the family getting rid of it.
    For the newer ones though I like the Taste of home end of the year recipe books.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paula Dean!

Blog Entries
    I have an old cookbook of my Mom's, which was so old that it comments on the idea of finding out if your town has a freezing locker. You rented space like a bank's lockers, except larger, and froze your meat and withdrew it out at times of need. It also commented on the radical idea of freezing vegetables and fruits, instead of canning them.

My son has been hinting for that ragged old book for years, he learned to cook on it. It's the Modern Family Cookbook, copyright date 1942. It also has several hand written recipes my mom put in it on any empty space..with so many kids she said she had a hard time keeping track of any paper with a blank back side!!

And the recipe for Ice Box Cookies, well, that was in the days of the well known Ice Box!!

One thing my Grandma taught me was how to tell if the wood stove oven was hot enough for baking this or that..you opened the door and stuck your arm in it and started counting. If you could get to a certain number, it wasn't hot enough, but if within a few seconds it was too hot to keep your arm in it, it was hot enough to bake bread or whatever you had for supper.

For whatever reason, most folks couldn't quite figure out why lots of the older women had the hair on their arms scorced off!!

HI Ramona. What an interesting story. Do you have a picture of that old cook book? Love the history. :thumbup:

I have my mom's old Lily Wallace CB, tells about Ration Cooking (during WW2). But my favorite is Joy of Cooking, I had a PB copy that split in half, I was so happy when I got a HC copy at the library book sale.

I love the Taste of Home cookbooks and just about any cookbook put together by a church! These two have one thing in comon, the recipes are from "normal" cooks. I find they are tried and true and I can follow them easily. I also like that most of them are made withthings I either have in the house or can easily find in my grocery store! I also like allrecipes.com

My "go to" books of choice are: How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman and The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book.

Admittedly, I don't 'use' them for new recipes, just new ideas for dishes I already make.

I have one that is made up of recipes from the wives of servicemen in 1965 around the start of the Vietnam war. The recipes came from all over the world.

I prefer the cook books made from people's own recipes like the ones you get at church bazzars. Most of them are handed down throughout the years and use "regular" ingredients. They only cost a few dollars too!!

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    There are so many...but I am with Ramona. My very favorites are the ones I grew up with. The Women's Auxiliary Cookbook from the Grange my mom belonged to...the Herter's cookbook...the really, really old Betty Crocker, etc. They sooth my heart and soul when I need my mom and/or comfort food.

Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    actually....all recipes.com or the internet....i do better this way then with a traditional book.
    This is what I was going to say. I love my cookbooks, but honestly, if I'm looking for something new, I'll check allrecipes first. I love that you can read all the ratings/comments - nice to know that you're trying a tried & true recipe before all that work! And I've gotten some incredible recipes this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Paula Dean!
    Same here! Love Paula Dean cookbooks!

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    actually....all recipes.com or the internet....i do better this way then with a traditional book.
    This is what I was going to say. I love my cookbooks, but honestly, if I'm looking for something new, I'll check allrecipes first. I love that you can read all the ratings/comments - nice to know that you're trying a tried & true recipe before all that work! And I've gotten some incredible recipes this way.

Me, too!! I always find something great and many of my favorite recipes have found there way to that site. I love the comments and have picked up many great tips!

Who cooks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast