Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what was your most memorable New Year?? >

what was your most memorable New Year??

what was your most memorable New Year??

Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM

Mine was the year that I had to work day shift (12 hours) with an hour commute home - got home to a seafood feast arranged/prepared by my fella - then we watched the various tv shows to ring in the New Year. I wasn't supposed to have to work New Year's Day, but someone called in sick so I had to rush out in a hurry in the morning, but it was still my favorite New Year's to date.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 AM

We went to Prague a couple years ago for NY eve. We went for dinner up the mountain on a tram. The last tram was supposed to come at 11:30 so we could come down. We went out to catch the last tram and it was all dark at the station. I think they cancelled it due to possible NY eve shenanigans. So we were all dressed up, no cabs up there, and the trails coming down were glare ice. So, we took off our shoes and came down very precariously walking in the snow on the sides of the trails. I kept thinking my feet were going to freeze and I wouldn't be able to get all the way down. But we made it down. My feet were crusted in snow and leaves. By then it was after midnight. Anyone who's been to Europe knows how crazy NY eves are there with people shooting off all kinds of fireworks on the streets. It's so much that it smells like gunpowder and it's a big smoky cloud. There doesn't seem to be a lot if safety either with the drinking going on too.

Once we were in Munich on NY eve. The fireworks going off on the streets and drinking was just as crazy.

both times we just wanted to get back to our hotels after dinner
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM

In April of 1987 I decided it was time to quit smoking. I had promised myself if cigarettes ever got to $1.00 a pack I would quit. It was a hard year too due to three deaths in the family. My DH and I were invited to a New Year's Eve and 21st Birthday Party at the Hotel Del Coronado. I agreed to go only if we got a room and spent the night because I knew we would both be drinking. So my DH agreed. We got all dressed up, went to the event and the majority of the music was rap. I didn't know at the time what rap does to me, but I was getting more and more upset. I thought maybe it was because I wanted a cigarette (smoking and drinking seems to go well together). So I went to the gift shop and bought a pack - it was $1.80 - so I was upset that I had promised myself to never pay more than $1.00. Smoked one cigarette and still didn't relax, walked the hotel for a while, which is a wonderful place to visit. Went to the room and rested a bit, felt better, went back to the party, and it started all over again. I looked at the cigarettes in my purse, was disgusted by the music and all the drunk people, threw away the expensive pack, and once it struck midnight returned to the room. That was my very last cigarette that night. Every time since that year I get a cold I thank God for helping me quit, it was the best thing I ever did.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM

The year of 70/71, New Years Eve, I had invited my "friend" to a New Years Eve party at my brother's house. Because my friend had family from out of town, he chose to stay home and celebrate with them. (He still lived with his parents.) I went with friends to our favorite haunt, had a few drinks and decided to call my friend, who I really had a crush on. I called and when I asked for him, his mother said, "My husband, or my son?" They shared the same name. I said, "Oh dear God, I hope it's your son!" Talked to my friend and he took 20 minutes (usually took 35 minutes) to get to where I was. In April we were engaged, in July we were married. His mother said it would never last! It lasted 44 years until he passed from cancer September, 2015.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:53 PM

The year that we called our parents to tell them I was pregnant. December 31, 1976!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 PM

nice to hear about your German life, Jan in VA
Old 12-30-2016, 01:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
I too had a great time in Germany. We lived on the economy in Dawn and my neighbor showed me how to make rouladen and red cabbage for that New Years Eve gathering.
I wonder how many Americans know what "living on the economy" means? It was a wonderful time for me. I didn't particularly care for rouladen for some reason, but did love the "rolladen" shutters on the windows -- have wanted them here for years and years!! Fun, wasn't it?!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience!

Ich wuensche Ihnen und Ihrer Familie einen gesunden, guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!
Vielen Danke! Und sie auch!
Jan in VA
Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 PM

My most unusual was sometime in the late 70s. We were visiting Disney World and got stuck on the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride and spent midnight stuck on it. Everyone on the sub sand Auld Lang Syne at midnight. Memorable!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:46 PM

My first New Year with my the boyfriend-now husband.

He was in the hospital with the first of many DVT's in his leg. From the moment he was admitted to the moment he was discharged I never left his side. The nurse put in a cot for me to sleep on. And on New Year's eve about 20 minutes before midnight they left us go out and watch the fireworks.
I wheeled him through the maze of corridors and out to the patio and we sat, holding hands watching the magical colors above us.

I am blessed to have him each and everyday. No one has ever treated me so well, so kind and loved so much.