What is YOUR take on this?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Ditto!!! Couldn't of said it better, I quilt I am Canadian and hell I even have oak cabinets, chairs and a table.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Geez Louise I hate to think what they would do to my house. Every chair back, side table, coffe table, beds, kitchen table has a quilt of one sort or another. That's what we do!!

I stopped watching hgtv when they stopped showing the quilting and craft shows. I have no interest in redecorating my house and that's all they show!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM

I have seen the show and after you've seen about 4 of them, you know what the next one will look like. Our house is about 50 years old. We've lived in it about 30. The kitchen has the oak cabinets that were in it when we bought it. I put wood flooring in the kitchen and added granite counter tops as the formica ones were worn out. The shine on them was gone and they were white. I could only keep them white by bleaching them weekly! I once had a house that had that "open" concept and I always had to make sure everything was picked up and clean. No dishes, glasses on the counters, papers, books, clothes, or toys strewn about. I was nothing but work. Now my small living room is generally always presentable and you can't see the rest of my house from it. I would like some upgrades here and there but at our age, it wouldn't be worth spending thousands of dollars to make the changes. I would rather put the money in a new sewing machine, or newer car, or help my children or grandchildren. We just don't need to move into the 21 century as we are happy in the 20th!! ))))))))
Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 AM

Years ago, we built a beautiful Victorian house - wrap around porch, long windows, and I wallpapers every room - even the closets - antique light fixtures and the entire enchilada. My husband wanted to get out of the state in which we lived---(I've regretted it ever since) and the people that bought it ripped off my $$$ wallpaper and painted the walls white, they removed my kitchen cabinets that looked they were antique (ON PURPOSE) and replaced them with....modern ones. There was wallpaper in the living room which looked just like needlepoint - GONE. We had taken so much research in every square inch of that house and now it is horrendous.....If they didn't like that style, why buy it??? I miss my home but would hate to see it today..
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
nThe brothers (twins) have 2 shows: Property Brothers and Buying and Selling (which is new I think). I watch them both. I'm sure they (like on all tv shows) are being dramatic/provocative to improving viewing. I guess us quilters probably took that espisode a little personal!! Didn't the woman say her grandmother had made the quilt? Anyway, she was a good sport about it in the end. I just kept thinking I hope she can take it in stride and isn't getting her feelings hurt.
. The family on this particular episode is the daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters of dear friends of ours. The family lives in Texas, and my friend made the quilt. When she first told me about the show (they were there for the filming), she laughed about the "ugly quilt" remark because this happened to be her first quilt. Her daughter treasures that quilt, so do not be concerned about it not being loved for many years to come :-). My friend's quilting journey started when I convinced her to attend a quilt retreat with me in AZ, and she was hooked! So much of these shows is about the drama....for TV. Personally, I like the show and even though I disagree often with the changes, that's just my taste vs theirs. Happy quilting :-)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 AM

I do like their show and watch it every now and then. What they do is promote what a buyers market would purchase and I believe it's age-group specific.

I too have oak cabinets and I am sick of them. Not that I want white but I would love to update them. Our house is 13-years-old and they are the builders-grade cabinets. I would do some other wood or a finer grade oak a little darker if doing it again.

They were more looking at the color/style of the quilt - they are far more contemporary and obviously gear it towards what makes rating.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM

I too live in Outdatedville! And thats just fine with me! My house is filled with found treasures that I cherish. I am not Mod or "with it" And that suites me just fine. You can bet anything they replaced was built cheaper than what they tore out.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM

Red face Hgtv

I try and not watch too much on here. I am very disappointed in them taking off the one quilt show and Carol Duval. How many house and yard remakes can they possible do? I wish they would put something more interesting on...like several quilt shows. I'd even take reruns of Simply Quilts and Carol Duval again.

hugs
joycet
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM

I don't think Canadians are horrible, at all. Our son's going to college there and he's really enjoyed the experience there (except for some stress at finals' time).
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM

When we sold our 17 year old beautiful farm house in East Texas, one of the many compliments I got was for the beautiful quilts on the walls and on the beds. A couple of husbands even asked if I made them for sale (resounding NO to that.) I think that sometimes designers get too hung up on their "style" and can't see anything else. I am sad that they did not see the beauty of these quilts or cabinets. Their loss.