Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck! >

What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck!

What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 PM

another way to get rid of them is to put orange or grapefruit rinds aroung you plants. Something about the citrus oil. used to do this in my strawberry patch to get rid of them. didn't have to worry about the kids or pets getting into something they shouldn't.
Also diatemaceous earth will kill them. buy it in the garden area
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM

from http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...ganically.aspx

Remove their habitat by raking up your mulch in spring and composting it. Then, start your garden in open soil and wait until early summer to add a fresh blanket of mulch.

A few years ago, a U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist found that quackgrass contains a substance toxic to slugs. Since then, many backyard slug slayers have experimented with crabgrass cookies, which are made by mixing chopped, dried crabgrass leaves with corn bran, cornstarch and beer. Then, the baits are placed beneath plants, where the slugs eat them and die.

Another option is spraying coffee on plants that are plagued with slugs. Caffeine in any form ? including a few No-Doz tablets mixed with water ? is a slug neurotoxin that will kill these unwanted pests.

When you're down to only a few slugs, you can fall back on the traditional organic control, which is to trap them with beer. Put an inch or so of any beer in a cup, bury it in the garden nearly to the rim and collect your drowned slugs in the morning. Or, put some beer in plastic drink bottles and lay them on their sides in the garden. The slugs will crawl in and drown. Dump them out and start over again every few days.

**there more tips in the comments under the article.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

:) Had fun reading this post. Have tried most of the above and they do work. Thought about getting ducks, but then you have duck mess to worry about, which is worse than the slug ewww factor. Not many snails around our garden, but then we have had a drought. Copper wire is 'sposed to work too (but most people hoard it and sell it). If you have some small people around, give them each a bucket and pay 1 cent per head.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

Beer really does work.

(A few years ago, a U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist found that quackgrass contains a substance toxic to slugs. ) If this is true I sholdn't have slugs and I have a lot of them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Yuck!!! Would gross me out! Can't believe u were brave enough to pluck and count!!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 AM

Diatamaceous (sp) earth sprinkled around your plants will take care of it. Nice, organic solution.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 AM

slugs like beer not sure what the snails like.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Eeeeww!! I can sympathize. When I lived in CT we had slugs all over. I did the beer thing in cans to attract and drown them. It worked but all it did was collect them and they still kept coming. I had a balcony on the 2nd floor and ended up planting ALL of my plants in containers, flowers, veggies and herbs. Good luck, I hope you can get around them somehow.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 AM

put out aluminum pie pans with beer, don't know why but it attracks them and they drown. Or there is always slug bait
Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 AM

I AM Mennonite so it was funny to me!!!!!