Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's up with shoes these days? >

What's up with shoes these days?

What's up with shoes these days?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 PM

I can only wear SAS and Birkenstock shoes. the others are terrible, too stiff on the bottom, too snug in the toes, and a lot of other problems. I too thought that SAS shoes were very pain and not so good looking til I went to a SAS store. Boy, what a difference. I now have a very nice pair of SAS that look like regular shoes, and they are as comfortable a shoe as the "old fashioned" clunky ones. they also had a lot of colors and the salesperson said they are getting more all the time. they do make all their shoes in the US from the old lasts, I can wear them when I cannot wear anything else. I have tried to wear all the sports shoes but they are too stiff and take forever to break in. I stick with Birkenstocks and SAS and am very comfortable.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 AM

I just wear basic flat sneakers. Not the fancy kind the walmart kind. I love the nice shoes don't get me wrong put me in a nordstroms place and well.. I could spend money like no tomorrow. That said with a neuropathy in both feet I need as much feeling as possible. meaning as light weight as possible. good shoes? they don't work. too heavy. I love the designs out there too! I wish I was able to wear them. I guess it just takes trying on what you love and hoping it fits. If it doesn't well its ok. there will be more fish out there to fall in love with!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I've had fat feet since i wa a child. I remember the horror of shoe shopping and nothing fitting my fat foot. I' buy mens Wide width white sneakers. for dress shoes, luckily, i'm not working now, disabled, i have a pair of black shoes that are my 'dress' shoes. not really dressy, but who cares. i have a pair of slouchy boots, 2 sizes bigger to wear when i need to (weddings) but no realy dress shoes. I have an 8 4d.
even sneakers don't fit. why don't these companies realize us 'fatter footed' women will buy shoes if they fit. they're missing out on a bunch of $$$$$
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Am I ever glad to see this article, there are no shoes on the market that fit old ladies feet that are comfortable any more. I wonder what I can ware to my granddaughters graduation? I think, with several thousand ladies being in the center where this will held, I may have a chance to look at what sort of shoes they have on.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 PM

For those of us with tiny feet, try the girls/teens department. I find a lot of my size 5's there...with how fast kids are growing up today, the shoe styles aren't juvenile. Lots of flats and low heels available. Would love a pair of Dansko clogs, but they are too large and wide for me. Used to love the Swedish clogs (forget the brand, but they had leather upper and wooden sole), but can't find them anymore. It seems there is no consistency between brands anymore. One manufacturer's 6 is another's 7. Wide widths...forget about it. My DD wears a size 11 extra wide. Most often, she defaults to mens shoes as she has trouble finding womens shoes that are wide enough. (She does love her Dansko clogs, though! Also her Doc Martins.)

Don't like to go barefoot - it just feels strange to me. Husband and DD love to go barefoot.

Try to buy shoes late in the afternoon as this is when feet are the largest (swelling - even if you can't see it, they swell a bit from you being upright). Do not buy shoes that you "have to break in". If they are not comfortable when you first try them on, they never will be comfortable. Try to buy shoes made of leather - they breathe and will conform to your feet. If you can, rotate your shoes - try not to wear the same pair every day. Buy the best you can afford - one or two very good pairs are more economical then 5 or 6 cheap pairs. Good quality shoes can be resoled and reheeled, while the cheaper shoes usually cannot.

Good luck to all of us with our myriad of foot problems! I have dancer's feet - all my toes are the same length (from many, many years of ballet) and my feet are small. No bunions or corns, but do get ingrown toenails. Some arthritis in my ankles (mostly where I broke my ankle in a snowmobile accident), but knock wood...so far, so good.

I am not a shoe/foot expert, but my DH calls me "Imelda". I need almost as much room for my shoes as I do for my fabric!!!

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 06-04-2014 at 05:58 PM.