Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's your favote cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    My MIL's recipe for Double Chocolate Cookies with Chocolate pudding. They are downright decadent.

Have to admit that I found the Mice-Stuffed cookies quite intriguing.
    Mad! ...say it isn't so!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    It wasn't a typo! She meant MICE MEAT. How do I know? Our cat had the same recipe! lol........

glad I don't live there, JuneBillie! I are a domesticated mousie
    and all kitties around here are meece-friendly

Just the mother of all urban legends about the Neiman-Marcus cookie, has been making the rounds for over 70 years - and in many incarnations. (woolworths, Mrs. Fields, etc.) Fascinating read!

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp

Interesting - from the NM website - quite a different cookie. I guess people have changed it over the years as they passed it along. That's what makes for a good recipe!

https://web.archive.org/web/20030618...e_recipe.jhtml

The same story was told about the Red Velvet cake when it first came out in the 50's. I have hundreds of cookie and candy recipes and many cookbooks. I started with the Betty Crocker that was a wedding gift in 1957 and still go to it. I have cut out recipes from magazines for years. Wish I had the time and energy to make them all.

peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip---only have ot make one batch that way to get all the goodies---ha ha ha

I love toll house cookies made with black walnuts.

Donna

BUCKEYE BALLS (GO BLUE!)

Peanut butter, butter and confectioner's sugar dipped in melted chocolate chips...can make these gluten and dairy free for DH also.
    I use my outside porch as a freezer and we make these last a loooonnnggg time. Keep in tin containers so that the squirrels don't eat through my screens trying to get to the cookies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Homemade all butter Scottish shortbread, yummmmmm!
    Ditto - I learned to make it from a farm wife friend of my Mom's years ago. I don't think a Christmas has passed since then that I haven't made Bunny Browns Scotch Shortbread!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    you all know the peanut blossom cookies - the ones with the Hershey's kiss on top - they were in the 1957 Pillsbury Bake Off and did NOT win!!

I like any cookie with candy on top, lol!
    My favorite Grandma used to make peanut blossom cookies. They were so tasty!

My Grandma made a sour milk cookie that the recipe has been lost. I remember that whenever she cooked a chicken she would save and render the chicken fat and use it in the cookies, she would use leftover sour milk instead of throwing it away and I believe she used both vanilla and lemon extracts for flavoring. Unfortunately none of my aunts saved the recipe. They were good and froze well.

Same as Chasing hawk. My kids would not think it is Christmas with out the wedding cookie. I put Pecans in mine. I guess that is normal.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I just did up some Hermit cookies --but I add mincemeat to them. They never last around here. Funny because I am the only one who likes mincemeat pie.
    I make my own mincemeat and can it--yummy--better than store bought I think.
    But put cookies--any in front of me and I will eat it. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie View Post

glad I don't live there, JuneBillie! I are a domesticated mousie
    and all kitties around here are meece-friendly
    Mousie, we are suppose to have a Mice Day today!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post
    My Grandma made a sour milk cookie that the recipe has been lost. I remember that whenever she cooked a chicken she would save and render the chicken fat and use it in the cookies, she would use leftover sour milk instead of throwing it away and I believe she used both vanilla and lemon extracts for flavoring. Unfortunately none of my aunts saved the recipe. They were good and froze well.
    Could this be the one? Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies 1/2 cup lard, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 3/4 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp lemon juice 1/2 cup sour milk, 3 cup's flour, 21/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt. Cream lard with sugar. Add vanilla and lemon juice when light and fluffy,beat in egg, Mix in milk with dry ing. Chill in refrigerator foe at least an hour. Roll out pencil thick cut with cookie cutter sprinkle with sugar and bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Yum! I want the recipe. Sounds like my cup of tea! :0)

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    Mousie, we are suppose to have a Mice Day today!
    I'm glad your having a Mice day . We are overcast, but it ain't raining cats
    and dogs, so always something to be grateful for

(I know a Mice Day is good, right???? )

Thanks everyone for sharing their wonderful recipes for favorites. I take pics of them with my phone and sync it to my Mac so I have them on file!

I like oatmeal, raisins, and walnuts best. I don't make cookies any more with just DH and me. I do make 2 fruit cakes for my DH. He may share one sometimes but the other one goes in the freezer and he eats on it over the year or 6 months. It is a recipe from Southern Living Magazine, Nov. issue of 1977 and it is a light colored cake. I don't put the citron pieces in it; just green and red cherries, pineapples, walnuts chopped in to very small pieces. They cost about $55 each to make last year and and they are labor intensive.
    He doesn't like the store bought ones but will eat the Claxyton if he has no choice or I don't make him any. I generally cut the fruit up the day before and make the cakes the next day.
    But DH loves them and he doesn't like to share (even with his family or neighbors) because I only make them at Christmas!! I think he is so funny! LOL! I don't eat them at all!

Blog Entries
    Love hearing the cookies stories too. I remember a sugar cookie with cutouts and candy crushed in the middle, something like a stained glass cookie. my favorites since I was a kid is M&M's i'm making them tonight, at least the mix, then i'll bake tomorrow. great memories, cookies can make.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips - baked very dark so they're crunchy. Also like pb cookies that have the "kiss" in the middle.

The real answer to the question??? ANY!!!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Swedish teas. They are much the same as bird nest cookies. I love cookies with raspberry or apricot jam in them

Quote Originally Posted by binkister View Post
    The recipie with the 1/2 cup vanilla was the recipie I would like if you are willing to share.
    Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 c sugar
    1 1/2 c brown sugar
    1 lb margarine (I use butter flavored Crisco)
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup vanilla
    2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
    6 heaping cups of flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 12 oz packages chocolate chips

cream together sugars and margarine till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla. In separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Slowly add to sugar mixture. By hand, (unless you have a Kitchenaide mixer) stir in choc chips. Drop 1" balls from teaspoon onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 10-14 minutes. Makes about 12-14 dozen. I use a 1" scoop and get 14 dozen. This makes a soft cookie. Delish!!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Since I don't normally have them in the house, it is usually the last one I had at a group meeting. I think the last one I ate (oops I didn't eat just one) must have been some pumpkin cookies from Costco. Delicious !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Love them all, but since I am now gluten free I would have to say macaroons.

Blog Entries
    Quilting-nannie, 1 lb margarine (I use butter flavored Crisco) would equal 2 cups? I might just do half of the recipe. I am very curious how rich the cookies would be. Thanks for the recipe.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast