Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child >

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Probably the Christmases that all of the cousins were together were the best. Other than that there really weren't any spectacular or memorable gifts in my childhood.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Going with my Dad to pick out the tree, I felt so important! And getting my ice skates, daddy flooded our driveway so I could skate in a safe spot. And seeing my big dsis ccome throiugh the front door dressed to the nines yelling Merry Kiss My a__. she had been living in New York at the time, and we didn't know she was coming. That became our special greeting to each other until she died.
Love your story, I can just see your sis coming through that door.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM

2007 All of our kids and grandkids were home. We only get that every 3 to 5 years so it is special when they do come home. One family is missionaries in the Philippines.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM
mim

the first year I lived with my grandparents away from my brothers and sisters in a tiny village (24 families) in rural Maine.

The school Christmas pagent was held in the only church in town -- My grandfather was the minister. The pagent was a series of vignets (sp??) using I'm dreaming of a white christmas with the Bing Crosby record in the background. There was a mildly retarded girl who wasn't able to memorize lines or actions. The teacher had her play the "most important" part. She sat at a desk and "fell asleep" and the pagent was her dream. I have never forgotten this kindness.

It was a warmer/more loving time where everyone was included. Even the man from WW One who had been gassed and was taken care of by his elderly parents.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mim
the first year I lived with my grandparents away from my brothers and sisters in a tiny village (24 families) in rural Maine.

The school Christmas pagent was held in the only church in town -- My grandfather was the minister. The pagent was a series of vignets (sp??) using I'm dreaming of a white christmas with the Bing Crosby record in the background. There was a mildly retarded girl who wasn't able to memorize lines or actions. The teacher had her play the "most important" part. She sat at a desk and "fell asleep" and the pagent was her dream. I have never forgotten this kindness.

It was a warmer/more loving time where everyone was included. Even the man from WW One who had been gassed and was taken care of by his elderly parents.
What a wonderful heartfelt story that is. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 AM

Going with my Dad to pick out the tree, I felt so important! And getting my ice skates, daddy flooded our driveway so I could skate in a safe spot. And seeing my big dsis ccome throiugh the front door dressed to the nines yelling Merry Kiss My a__. she had been living in New York at the time, and we didn't know she was coming. That became our special greeting to each other until she died.
I love your greeting, never heard that before, will have to remember it. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 AM

If I have to choose just one... this is it. All of my childhood, we went as a family to a nearby Christmas tree lot to find a tree. I watched as my parents would look at all the trees and hear their criticisms: this one is too short, this one is too tall, this one not full enough, this one has a "hole" that ornaments wouldn't hide. I considered myself the expert on finding the perfect tree. So along comes the year... I was probably around 11 or 12... and I think Daddy took me alone to find the tree (at least I don't remember anyone else being with us) and Daddy let ME pick out the tree! Well, I did! It must have been 12 or 13 feet tall (I guess since I was taller, it altered my perception), but my DD didn't say a word, just purchased the tree and we hauled it home. The trunk of that tree must have been 12 inches wide. We couldn't find a tree stand anywhere to hold it. So, out comes an apple crate and we searched the yard for huge rocks to fill in around the tree. I don't know how many branches had to be cut off the bottom to accomplish this, but they made a nice mantle decoration. 2 or more feet cut out of the top, and it still touched the ceiling! We had to buy extra lights and ornaments just to fill out that tree! It was HUGE! Good thing we had a large living room! lol. I'm sure my mother wondered why my father hadn't been the voice of reason at the tree lot. The only picture I got of it was too dark and is basically a silhouette of the tree against the windows. It's a great memory. Thanks for this thread and making me stop to think about it! DD passed away this year and DM has been gone for 3 1/2 years, so it's heartwarming to remember those long ago Christmases when we were all together.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM

I was just talking to mom about this earlier!!! My memory is of when I was 4 or 5 yrs. old. I remember my grandparents being at our house and all the wrapping all over the place. My grandmother asked my brother (he was 6 or 7) if he had been on the back porch to see if anything had been left there.........he went out the door in a shot. Next thing we knew, he was riding a new bike THRU the living room!!! He was wearing a Lone Ranger hat and mak, too! That was about the same time I was opening MY favorite toy --- my "Suzie" doll. She WALKED!!!!! I named her Suzie because my grandparents always called me Suzie -- they wanted me named Suzie. I still have her -- in my toy crib in the guest room!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:25 AM

going to the grandparents house on Christmas Eve. Dinner and all the fixins, and then the presents...all my brothers, sisters, cousins would get so excited over my grandmother calling out our name when she passed out the presents.

We still reminisce about that today...we loved to hear our grandmother call out our name in that special accent of a voice.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2
I love your greeting, never heard that before, will have to remember it. Merry Christmas.
I can still see her too. spike heels, mink coat, big earrings and oh, she had the greatest smile. Janet was 18 years older than me, and she spoiled me rotten. She had the best sense of humor , loved to tell jokes and laugh. Janet and I had so much fun together , always. I always told her she was the vainest person I knew, and she would laugh and say, Yeah, but you think I am beautiful! Lol And I always thought she was. I've lost all my three sisters and two brothers, but I think she is the one I miss the most. she just made everyone feel good when she was around. So friends, I can be proper and wish you all a Merry Christmas, but I hope yoiu will also let me say , "Merry Kiss MY A**!! and know it's becuse I love you all. Carol