Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM

Default When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

I picked on my poor dh last year when he got bifocals and now, i am pushing my glasses up on my head to read. I find myself unable to do handwork longer than 5-10 minutes without a break. I know my eye dr. told me to expect changes but it seems like it's overnight...so...when did your vision change? and to what? and how do you like your bifocals if you have them?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

The month I turned 40. Woke up and my vision had changed...I knew I needed bifocals
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM

When I hit the 40s my eyes started going. I wear bifocals and have found that I do better with the no line lens. I have tried one contact to no luck. I have tried two contacts to no luck. I have tried the lined bifocals but the line bothered me especially when I was on the computer. I finally settled on the no line lens and that seems to work best for me. Glasses were very hard for me to become accustomed to.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM

It happen to me at about 45 , yep it seemed so sudden. The bifocals .... took quite a bit of adjustment. I was getting sea sick from them for awhile. It was particulary bad the day after I got them , I had to give a lecture/ speech and I kept grabbing the podium as it felt like the room /floor was moving. I think they/participants thought I was drunk. I was so embarrased.
You do get used to them .. but there is a learning curve!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Most optometrists will recommend getting no-line bifocals if you use a computer a lot. They are a lot easier to get used to. I only had trouble for the first two days and after that no problem. If you do have trouble getting used to them, go back and have the measurements taken again. That's where they get off.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM

I do not remember my age but I have progressive lenses the first day was the worst, I kept putting my old ones one now I an see fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM

I was 47, kept putting off getting bifocals but finally had to do it. I got the no line and it does take a little getting used to but it's so much better than taking my other glasses on and off all the time.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM

When I turned 45 my eyes changed to the point where I would need the multi focal lenses and they work like a charm. For close up reading you look towards the bottom of the glass, where distance is at the top part of the lens and there are no lines on the lens like before. But for very close up reading like labels on bottles that are like a type 6 font! I need to still pull out my reading glasses to read the print.
I also wear the multi focal contact lenses that are out too and believe it or not they work pretty well the same but your told you need to either give a little on distance or close up in the way they are designed. But again for up close reading I still need the reading glasses for small font.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM

I turned 55 on Tuesday, and I recently got my first pair of progressive lenses. I had an doctor tell me that if I could avoid them by reading over the top of my single vision lenses to do it. So I did...put it off as long as I could...the problems started when I was about 45...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 PM

I was 35 -- I got the variable lens not bifocals because I did not want lines. I still wear them many years later.