Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you decorate for Christmas? >

When do you decorate for Christmas?

When do you decorate for Christmas?

Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Question When do you decorate for Christmas?

Saw a post of Facebook with a turkey saying "Back off Santa, November is my month!" Saw Christmas items in our stores before Halloween, now Christmas trees and lights up on houses before Thanksgiving!

I love Christmas decor, songs, everything, but not yet. Seems the same people who decorate in November, take everything down on Dec. 26. We put up Dec. 21 and take down Jan. 1.

What do you do in your neck of the woods?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-19-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: remove religious discussion
Old 11-19-2017, 01:08 PM

I have my fall décor up until after Thanksgiving. Then Christmas goes up about a week later.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 PM

I usually start decorating after Thanksgiving. I put up 4 trees throughout the house. This holiday is going to be tough because Kola won't be under her tree napping as she did every year since she was a kitten.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM

The day after Thanksgiving at the earliest. Although I understand people getting outside decorations out when the weather is a little nicer. They've already started Christmas music on a local station. I love the music, but it's too soon I think.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Once every 3 years Well, it used to be that way because it would be my turn to host Christmas every third year. But we have moved into a small town and I will put up some outdoor decorations--the first time in 18 years for that. Our old place could not be seen from any road so never bothered.

I love seeing the Christmas lights while driving. But not so much if they are still 'on' in March!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM

I put my decorations up the week after Thanksgiving or if I put them up on Thanksgiving Day I don't light them until after Thanksgiving. Here our Santa has been at the mall for 3 weeks and stores decorated and playing Christmas music. Some of our stores are open on Thanksgiving. They are so greedy.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

DH puts up the house lights and outside decorations the first week of Dec. I put the tree up usually a little later. The inside decorations and tree comes down the day after Christmas. Outside decorations and lights come down when DH gets motivated to do it, usually after New Year Day. I don't decorate like I use to when the kids were at home. I still have a big tree every year. I made it super simple on myself. I bought a large umbrella type tree when I first saw one for sale. It's easy to set up and take down. Saves a lot of time. DH balked a little at the price of it but now he thinks it's wonderful and the prices have gone up on the ones I've seen smaller then mine.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Mine goes up in the house on Black Friday. It's a day of pajamas, parades on tv, football, and left overs. It's usually done in about a week. It sure helps to have a fake tree with the lights attached. It stays up till between Christmas and New Years.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I will start after Thanksgiving, and things usually stay up until after New Years. It depends on whether DS and DIL stay in town, or head to her parents. That depends on when Christmas falls, and how much time they have off work. If they go, NY eve and New years day "substitute". After having worked retail management for 20 years, where I never had time to decorate, and was lucky to get a tree up, I don't mind doing it early and leaving it up!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Not decorating this year. I am going away for Christmas and cannot be bothered. Well I may put up one tiny artificial tree. We have always had real trees. The trip to the tree farm is a family tradition.

In the past Christmas lights went up outside the first weekend of December. Tree went up after the 14th (family birthday).

Christmas treat making (baking and candy) will start December first this year. I will be taking some treats away with my son and I.