Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
when you say don't worry im insured  your not unless its your car.. >

when you say don't worry im insured your not unless its your car..

when you say don't worry im insured your not unless its your car..

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM

FYI THINK AGAIN!!! your ins is for your car and you!!
if you drive someone else's car your ins will not cover it the owner of the car you were driving is the one that is responsible the owner of the car gave you permission to drive it so when you say don't worry im insured your not unless its your car..i know it happen to me
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Yep, your ins. will tell you your ins. follows the car not you. Meaning it cover the car and you when you are in it and if you are not it will not cover you.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I had no idea. I only drive mine and my daughters cars, but that is good to know.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Your welcome, remember the day when you would say you want "FULL" coverage and that would mean everything. Well now a day it does not. It cost extra for medical for you if the accident is not your fault, glass is extra, everything is extra.

But I guess I can not complain, I have Farmers and I have 2 trucks (new) with "FULL" coverage, 2 ATV's and townhome ins. and it only cost about 250 a month. And my ins also covers my dogs, and road side asistance and car rental.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Unless you live in Michigan. Then YOUR insurance covers everything; car, medical (forever). We are a No Fault which means that it doesn't matter whose fault the accident is, each persons car insurance covers them. If you don't have car insurance, then the other person gets the hit. However, if you are a walker or on a bike and are injured, it is the person who injured you's car insurance that covers your injuries and expenses. Liability insurance is required by law and the big problem here is being 'underinsured', that is not having enough insurance to cover your vehicle that is being financed or leased. If there is a total loss, what you owe on the car is more than the car is worth because of depreciation. You can get Gap insurance and it will cover that inbetween amount. We own an independent insurance agency and the insurance climate is absolutely horrible here because of the number of businesses going under and people just dropping their home and car insurance since they can no longer afford it. We have big penalties for driving w/o insurance but I guess if you don't get caught, it's OK. We have one of the highest insurance costs in the country and much of it is due to the medical benefit. It is getting harder to make a living in insurance in Michigan.
Wendy
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
We have big penalties for driving w/o insurance but I guess if you don't get caught, it's OK.
Here in PA, you have to be insured to pass inspection every year. You wouldn't want to risk driving around without current inspection stickers.

I am a little confused about the "your insurance covers your car and you" thing. When I drive a rental car my own car insurance covers the rental car. So wouldn't it be the same if I drive a friend's car? My insurance would cover any accident I might have. But then again, if someone else were driving my car and had an accident with it, I think my insurance would cover that, too. Auto insurance laws do vary by state, so maybe that explains it.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 AM

your ins covers you in your car and a rental but when you drive your sisters car that means she gave you permission and her ins will cover it your own ins will say turn it in to her ins and MAYBE we can pick up some of it after they pay
my experience was i drove her car in california to go to Joann's and had an accident when i got home to Missouri my insurance told me her ins need to cover it,
Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 AM

I had a minor accident with a friend's car and his insurance was the one to pay! I felt soooo bad.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 AM

I think it all depends on where you live and who your insurer is.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 AM

every one should check with your ins i was told it was standard by the claims adj. at ins she said she hoped i would put it on the web and make a big deal out of it because the brokers don't tell this to anyone unless they ask i can't say what ins because she could get in trouble
mema