Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where to find “belting”used in thread catcher >

Where to find “belting”used in thread catcher

Where to find “belting”used in thread catcher

Old 06-03-2018, 05:05 AM

I used boning that is used in formals and such. Got it at JAF
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 AM

I have made hundreds of thread catchers. In the pin cushion I put mason sand or kiddie play sand that is very fine. I use a duct tie for the top of the bag. I also have learned to put a big cup (like you get at McAllister's) in the bag for easy cleanup. Just dump in the trash. Using this fine sand I always make the pin cushion out of double fabric.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I put a Zirkel magnetic pin cushion in the pin cushion part. It is heavy, won't fall or move. Holds the pins perfectly as well as seam ripper and snips. No filler required. I tried other magnetic ones but the square Zirkel works the best. The pin cushion on mine is square shaped.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:00 AM

I'm not sure exactly which type you are looking for. It comes as full cotton webbing and as a nylon/poly webbing. It comes in 1", 2" and can be purchased online as 3" wide. It is also available in many colors. If the clerk is not sure what you are asking for, you may want to call it webbing or tell them backpack strapping. Any fabric store should have it, I know Joanns carries lots of it by the yard in the smaller widths.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:12 AM

I have used sand for pincushions purchased at Joann's in the candle supply section)and first made a bag from heavy scrap muslin to put it in then what ever fabric (mine was felt) I want . As for the magnet idea, I would be afraid of it as I keep mine next to my machine and was told not to get a magnet near it including the pin catcher kind.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:28 AM

I use a small tuna can for a thread (and a tiny scraps) catcher. If either won't come easily off your fingers, just scrape gently on the inside edge of the can.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 AM

I use the plastic strapping that they put around heavy packages. I used to have a whole box of it. I had to have it at one time for bulk mailing for the PO which they didn't use for long. I thought I'd kept the box but apparently I must have gotten rid of it or it's well 'hidden' in the netherlands of my sewing room. I think this was 1/2 in wide. I think I still have some rolled up; you only need the amount to go around the top of the thread catcher. You might check with some of the big bulk stores and see if they have some that they've cut off boxes that they've gotten merchandise in. I'm sure they'd be glad to get rid of it. If you can't find it; pm me and I'll see if i have some and will send you some.
For the weighted filling I used very fine (clean) play sand in a heavy duty zip lock bag. Seal it up and squeeze out as much air as you can; then I taped the edges down with like clear shipping tape and slide it in your sleeve pocket, tape side down. The fine sand is also great at sharpening the pins.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:19 AM

For the pincushion I use approximately 1/2 walnut shells and 1/2 sand, filling a liner bag out of muslin first and then slipping into the fabric. Get the walnut shells at a pet store....used for pet cages.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 AM

You can also cut a piece out of a plastic milk jug or bleach bottle.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

The magnet used for pinholders or seam guides aren't powerful enough to harm a computerized machine is what I was told by Bernina tech.