Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where id my hummers go?!

Blog Entries

Where id my hummers go?!

Suddenly 3 days ago hummingbirds stopped coming to my feeders!! They have been very busy this year, even through the winter when I even had to unfreeze the nectar.

Would think that migration was earlier than this from SW Washington if they were going somewhere. They are usually visiting all day long till after dark!

Any ideas, bird lovers? I miss them!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Mom. No problem there! Have ant baffles and wash almost daily. Haven't seen them around on the roses and bushes either just these last few days!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
    I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I had to take mine down as bee's were swarming around it so bad even with the bee guards. I still see them around my flowers but not as much as I am used to.

Blog Entries
    I do too! I use little feeders and have to fill them every day! I use sugar/water that I make (they seem to prefer it) and keep any extra in the fridge. Thanks, tho!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
    I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters!

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Blog Entries
    Our weather hasn't been a problem - and to go from 3 very active feeders (they used to sit in the trees above while I filled them) to nada!!?? weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I filled my oriole and hummingbird feeders a while back (maybe 2 weeks) and haven't seen either bird since! Today, the purple finches are at the oriole feeder like crazy. Don't know where the hummers went.

Guess I will take down all feeders, wash and refill them and see what happens. I miss my little friends!
    Sue

Baby woodpeckers get on my hummingbird feeders and drain all the nectar out. I only buy the red nectar that has vitamins and minerals in it. My hummers are still around and come to the feeder to find it all gone. They do get on the honeysuckle vine. The bees will show up later and run both off. The hummers may be nesting in your area.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Didn't know orioles ate nectar too? And purple finches? What do they eat? I found that Goldfinches are happy with Sunflower seed. So much cheaper than thistle! Just saw one hummer! Tried the nectar but then came to the window to stare at the cactus flowers! Did I maybe put water instead of nectar in the feeder - was good enough for them every other day! I'm going to wash and refill, too. Kinda like when we re-thread and re-bobbin out machines when they don't work!

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Didn't know orioles ate nectar too? And purple finches? What do they eat? I found that Goldfinches are happy with Sunflower seed. So much cheaper than thistle! Just saw one hummer! Tried the nectar but then came to the window to stare at the cactus flowers! Did I maybe put water instead of nectar in the feeder - was good enough for them every other day! I'm going to wash and refill, too. Kinda like when we re-thread and re-bobbin out machines when they don't work!
    Kitsie ... yes orioles like nectar too. I remember reading a few years ago, that you should not feed them the same mix ... forget what the recipe was for orioles. Purple finches will eat the same as the sunflower seed ... though mine always have liked the niger aka thistles!

Blog Entries
    No sooner refilled the backyard one and hadn't even gotten up the stairs and ahhh, the familiar sound! One is back!

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    you may need toclean out your feeders.

at our place the wild flower are in full bloom. I been think that is y we are not having any?
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I have observed our hummers absent for a few days as the days become warmer then all of a sudden show up to feed at their feeder. We were very fortunate to have a mama hummer build a nest on our patio fan this spring. Watching the two baby hummers grow and to be present when they fledged was awesome. Lately, I find them at the feeder early in the morning before the sun . Here's a pic of the two babies before they fledged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't buy the red nectar-the hummingbird websites warn against it. Use 1 part sugar to 4 parts tap water. Mix it in a pitcher with a lid. Refrigerate any leftover nectar for up to a week or so. Change the nectar every couple days; especially if it's hot. Once it starts getting cloudy, it must be changed. Every other time, take the feeders down and wash them in a mild detergent with a little bit of bleach to kill any bacteria inside of them. I usually have 4-6 feeders going. I've had 10 times more hummers since I read the article and stopped buying the red nectar.
    Karen in Kentucky

i have a few at my feeder now. but last year i could hardly keep up with them. changing five times or more a day.it may be the weather run them off course.they came late too.this year.
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    charlotte nc and we just remarked at breakfast where's the hummingbirds. I will have the feeder checked to make sure it's clean. Have a great day.

Our birds leave for a while sometimes, I think when babies are being born.

Same thing here. When I first filled the feeder, a hummer came many times a day. I added more nectar (also homemade) and no more visits. I took it down, cleaned it, made new nectar, still no visits. I've done everything I can think of and I now see an occasional hummingbird but nothing like at first or even last year when they fought over this feeder, which was hanging in the same place as now. I know the nectar is correct, I know the feeder is clean, no ants or bugs or mold. I can't figure it out, either, but I keep watching and hoping they'll come back more often.

Just thinking this all thru ... perhaps their disappearance is a sign that there is "real" food for them in the area? (ie flowers!) And that they are going for the real thing, instead of the substitute.

I also noticed that I haven't had as much activity with hummers at my feeders. Usually, they seem more active early morning and late evening. Orioles will also feed on sugar water, no color necessary. I also put out oranges for the orioles, and have seen finches, red breasted woodpeckers, and others eating the oranges.Apples also work for most birds,gray catbird, cardinals, finches, rose-breasted grosbeaks.

Hummingbirds

I live in WA State as well....about a week ago, my hummingbirds left as well. Then, this week, they are back! I put fresh red colored sugar-water in the feeder. I love to watch these tiny creatures!

ladydukes

Blog Entries
    Ahh, so its not just me! Actually saw 2 yesterday! One must have been new - it was fun watching the little one try to find where to stick its beak! I do use just the sugar water nectar. Good to know this is pretty much normal.

I think I have a nest in the Leyland Cypress hedge. Would love to see the nest and those tiny eggs!!! Thanks, Nanny'sDollface for the picture!

Kitsie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast