Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
white fabric shirt tails now popular >

white fabric shirt tails now popular

white fabric shirt tails now popular

Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Default white fabric shirt tails now popular

does anyone know what kind of fabric the shirt tails on some thin sweaters/jackets is made of? you know, the look of wearing a shirt underneath. only shows at the bottom. i have a top that is petite and I would like it longer. i was thinking of some sort of lace but this fabric would work better. Only Wal-mart to shop at, otherwise it's online.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Have you thought of finding the right width shirt at a thrift store and just cutting off the bottom part to use?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Can't help, I haven't seen anything like that around here.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Having spent a lifetime of saying "tuck in your shirt!", I cannot imagine wanting to immitate that. If that is what you want, I would go with what sewbizgirl suggested. Are you suggesting adding a piece of fabric to duplicate a peplum?

Use care in selecting white fabric at Walmart. I get most of my yardage at Walmart, but drew up at buying the 90" wide white backing fabric because it is thin as gauze.

Last edited by elnan; 10-17-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: additional thought.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM

I believe you are talking about shirt extenders. I have two of them I bought off Amazon, both with chiffon-like ruffles attached to the bottom of a really long cami. I hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Glad you asked this question, Native. I would love to extend the shirts I have that have shortened in the wash, but are otherwise very comfy. I don't want to wear a cami underneath, just make my shirts longer without looking tacky. So far I haven't figured out how to accomplish that, so I only wear the short shirts around the house.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM

I think if you go to a fabric store that sells dressmaker fabrics you may find something. There used to be rolls of ribbing used for cuffs about three inches wide as I remember. Color selection wasn't very big. I'm visualizing it looking like the bottom of a knit top. That may now be a thing of the past but someone there should be able to give you options.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 AM

I'm with elnan. Sort of like these people who wear their pants almost falling off their rear ends. I want to say "PULL UP YOUR PANTS". I'm not sure what the deal is; it does NOT look good and it is not a fashion statement - to me anyway.
A friend of mine years ago was waiting to pick up her grandkids after school and while waiting, saw a young man crossing the parking lot and his pants fell to his ankles; (personally, I'd have gotten out of the car and laughed at him SO loudly). She said he looked around, bent over and pulled his pants up (how far, I don't know) and kept walking. Wonder if he learned his lesson. And BUY A BELT for the sake of the rest of us! And use it. Funny things people do.
BUT I do understand wanting to lengthen the top. I have that issue with some tops too. AND the sleeves that they are now making on women's t-shirts. It's like having a wedgie in the arm pits (to me). I HATE them. For me they are not comfortable. I'd like to find a nice way to lengthen them a couple of inches so they are wearable and look nice. So I keep wearing my old ones. More comfortable.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Nancy Zieman has had a guest on her show that did sweat shirt makeovers. The lady also wrote a book. Check Nancy's web site, the video of the show might still be available. You can use any kind of fabric, cotton or lace, depending of the look you want.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

oh last night's news was showing some men roller skating. one had his pants sliding off his bottom. completely off. i can't see why they didn't keep going to his knees. thankgoodness for black underwear!!
i don't like the shirt look under the main shirt or top but want to do something to lengthen it. any ideas other than lace??. it is a blue paisley with elastic at the top. petite too, that's my problem. Wal-mart is mostly where i shop these days. or online at JoAnn's.

Last edited by nativetexan; 10-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.