Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

I got a flu shot the end of Sept. this year and since then I have been sick continuesly since getting it. I am not a hypochodriac by any means but I looked up the side effects from the flu shot and I have had every one of them at one time or another since getting the shot. This is not the first year I get the shot as it is suggested I get it every year by my internist due to my heart issues. I have never had issues from it before. Was wondering if there was any one else experiencing the same thing.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Blog Entries
    I take the flu shot every year and have never gotten the flu, untill 2 days ago and right now I am pretty sick. However I firmly believe I would be a lot sicker if I didnt take the shot. my grown kids do not take the shot and they have had all been down with a flu bug twice seems it barly goes away and it comes back again I am not even sure I have the flu as i do not have a feaver I have a cold on my left side but right side of face dont even have a sniffle I ache all over but some of pain is muscle pain and fibro My chest aches could be from comprimised ling disease or flu However I am glad I got the shot because I know it could be a lot worse

Blog Entries
    I always get a flu shot, never had any problems though.
    P.Jaco
    OKC, OK
    "Trust your experience"

Blog Entries
    I did not get one this year...pretty much everyone I know has...and many have been sick with the flu...so far I have not gotten it. fingers crossed.

QM
    I always get one too. My adult son won't, and generally gets the flu. Many seasonal ills, however, are acctually allergies. I had bronchitis or pneumonia every winter for years before I found the right doc and treatment, including air filters.

Just imagine then, how sick you may have been if you didn't have the shot? You don't catch the flu from the shot as the stuff is dead before it is injected into you - it just prevents you from having the full - blown sickness. Hope your antibodies are building up nicely for the winter season.

Blog Entries
    I've always gotten the flu shot and now at my work it's mandatory. I started getting sinus infections before the shot and got better just long enough to get it and am now on my 4th round of antibiotics trying to get rid of it. I've talked to a lot of people who have gotten sick around Aug or Sept and they've had a terrible time getting it out of their system. One of the reason I've had such a hard time getting rid of my infection is due to being anemic; I've had one iron infusion and got rid of that sinus infection for a few weeks and then another one hit and when they checked my blood it was all out of wack again and not just my iron. If your blood cell levels aren't where they are supposed to be your immune system can't fight off bacteria. This comes from my doctor. I don't think it's the shot just something in the air this year.
    Last edited by romanojg; 01-04-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    Judy

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I get the flu shot every year and did this year too. I haven't had any problems. My husband hasn't either. So sorry that you are ill.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Blog Entries
    A educated guess by scientists is used to determine the viruses to include in the flu vaccine each year. Maybe you were one of the lucky ones to get a virus that was not foreseen. Hope you are feeling better as we speak -- maybe the duration will be a little shorter since you got the shot.

I also get a flu shot every year, as I have COPD. I was very sick after the shot this year.

I got it this year and got a mild case of flu 2 days later, but I think it was from "people exposure" a week before that. Still MUCH better than full fledged flu!!

BTW, the flu shot this year is the same strain as last year.

I don't get a flu shot and I haven't had the flu for years. I do stay away from anyone who is sick and I wash my hands a lot. I'm not a big fan of the shots but I'm a big fan of vitamins.

Blog Entries
    Mandatory where I work, but no side effects so far.

I get mine every year because I have diabetes and I've never gotten sick. The girls in the office I used to work at were always sick and I usually didn't get anything but a mild cold. I can't imagine not getting it. I hate being sick! Call the dr and tell them how you've felt ever since getting the shot. Maybe there was something wrong with that batch of vaccine.
    Debra

No problem for me, but my grandparents religiously got a flu shot yearly, and got sick every time right after getting the shot. I had a bad case of the flu several years ago, and decided I never wanted to get the flu that bad again. Thus, I never miss my flu shot.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I don't think I have the flu, the day after the shot I was sick with it coming from both ends if you know what I mean. Only lasted 2 days so figured I had the stomach bug. 2 weeks later I was fine in the morning and by that evening I was so sick with the worst sinus infection I have EVER had, can't take most meds that will kick it quick due to Atrial Fib. Took 2 weeks to get over it. Then 2 weeks after that I got another case of something, cold--sinus---??who knows but ran its course in about 4 days that time. Now since Christmas Eve I have this horrible cough, sore throat, over all just feeling tired and achey, ran fever last night but Advil took care of it so far but the cough is still rough. I am getting alot of flem out but there is still ALOT in there....where is it all coming from. aahh....Yes I was told this was the same shot as last year. I did get the shot last year and had no problems at all. I am even having major heartburn that I have never had before......just seems to be all a bit much for coincedence. I do intend to call my Dr. today.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

I got it back in Oct. last year. Have not had any problems. Thank God.

Husband always gets a flue shot and always has a cold and/or flue each winter. I never get the shot and can honestly say that I have not had a cold nor the flue in at least 15 years. I am very careful about washing my hands often and I always wear long sleeves out in public so I pull my sleeve down over my hand before opening any public door and I use my elbow to push open public doors. I really believe this is way I avoid picking up those little virus germs that like to attach us.

Last year, I was changing doctors and insurance and the shot got lost in the shuffle --- I never got around to getting it. And I will not do that again! Got sick three times, which is really strange for me. I started getting flue shots years ago as I owned a used book store. Do you know where folks stop when they are leaving work sick? That's right! They stop off to make sure they have something to read while recuperating. So I was always getting exposed to everything. Back on schedule of getting it now!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I get the flu shot every year and never get the flu. If you think you have the flu, then check the internet for the actual symptoms of influenza. They are considerably different from what most people usually think of as "the flu". Many people can get very sick from a cold, can develop a very bad cough, fever, headache and achy feeling and still not have the flu. It takes a lab test of your blood to determine if you actually have the flu. The flu is dangerous and kills many people each year which is why they have the shots.It seldom lasts less than two horrible weeks and frequently is longer. People are usually bedridden because they are too sick to be out of bed.
    The flu is so dangerous that the government keeps records on how many people actually have contracted it each year, how many have died each year. Very few people every have a mild case of the flu.

I don't get the shot, have tried twice and each time I got the flu from the shot. I know everyone says you can't get the flu from the shot but I do. Maybe because I have lupus
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    My husband and I had ours in Sept. No problems. He has a bug of some kind now, but obviously not as a result of his flu shot. There are so many strands out there, may not be a result of the shot. Our son was sick last year just after his shot, but no problems this year. Can you imagine what germ warfare would be like? Scary!

Blog Entries
    I quit getting the flu shots years ago. If my immune system gets weak or compromised then I may reconsider but for now my Dr. said I don't it as I take a statin pill which seems to prevent many flu and colds on it's own. I haven't had the flu or a severe cold since I've started taking the statin some years ago. And I will request the live flu strain, no heavy metal in the live shot.
    Got fabric?

Got a shot last year, first ever, so sick for about a week and a half after. No shot this year and still feeling great. The DH and I usually get a bug along in the spring.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

My doctor explains that you MAY still get the flu...but you will not get as severe of a case if you have had a flu shot. It takes at least 3 -5 weeks to get the full benefit from the shot. Maybe you got sick before it was able to help you.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast