Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Who knows Twitter? Teach me to Tweet!

Who knows Twitter? Teach me to Tweet!

I just don't get Twitter. And my 17 year marriage may not survive my husband trying to teach me!
    Now, I'm a fairly decent geek. I can Facebook, upload photos, eBay, etsy, Amazon. I even have a graphic design program that I self-taught. I know what a bezier line curve is and how to manipulate it, work with layers, add text, files, and photos. I can turn stuff into multi page PDFs and edit them.

Why dont I get Twitter????
    Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how to Tweet either! And I also don't know most of the stuff you talk about in your into! I eBay and Facebook, but would really love to learn all the graphics stuff! Maybe when I retire I'll have more time to learn.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Ha, ha. I don't twitter, facebook or even text. Seems like I will have to give in and put texting option back on my phone, then figure out how to do it. Electronics, grrrrr. Sorry, no help from me.

Nope....sorry no help here! I Facebook, very rarely text, and most of my phone calls go to voice mail...I just never hear my phone ring!!

You are lightyears ahead of me. There is a number of character limit with twitter as well as everything preceded by the pound sign - sorry - can't find the correct character on this keyboard! Other than that I am no help. Good luck!

I have a Twitter account but I don't tweet. I do follow subjects and people that I am interested in. Example: i follow political pundits and candidates, fav news show, elections, American Idol during finals, etc. Also quilting personalities and fav brands. Do I get on Twitter daily. Nah. Way too much info to even begin to absorb. Once you open your account, do a "search" for what you are interested in following and click....Follow. Easy.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Well, I was hoping someone would explain it also because I don't know what it is either. I can do fb and easy stuff. I'll keep watching. Haha glad to know I'm not alone!! My kids would roll the eyes and laugh!!

Blog Entries
    "Twitter" is way beyond me. I still have a flip phone that I have trouble deleting old/missed calls.

Blog Entries
    I wish I knew half of the computer things you do. I've been trying to get my embroidery files organized; two friends sort of took it over to help. I've since found that things are duplicated all over the place. I have PED software for my Brother machine and believe I'll have to go back to where I bought it to see if they can help me. I do have a maintainence contract with the Geek Squad for my laptop but don't know if they could help.
    Sometimes there is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.
    Reggie

When all else fails, ask your kids for help, or grandkids. If they laugh at you, remind THEM who taught them to eat with a spoon LOL!!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I don't understand Twitter either and I am not on Facebook but I learned how to text about 4 years ago. I am an old dog but I can still learn a new trick or two.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I follow on twitter but I to would like to know how to tweet Why do they keep it such a secret will be watching here

I googled How to use twitter and found some good tutorials. My take is that you set up an account, send out short messages to people who know you/follow you, and read messages from people you know and follow.

If you use a hashtag, i.e., #quiltingboard, then people who want to hear about the quiltingboard can search for messages with that hashtag and read them all. It's like giving a tag or a title to your tweet so other people who might be interested can find it.

Some people follow celebrities or organizations. A tweet can contain a link to something else, so if you want to spread the word about an article or picture, you can tweet the link and everyone who follows you can check it out and, if they choose, can retweet it and pass it along to others.

I hope that makes sense. I don't use it because I waste enough time online as it is!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I never learned mostly because there are only so many hours in a day. Quilting is my number 1 passion so everything I do online is related to quilting. Videos, a few blogs & my all time fave The Quilting Board. That is enough time on the internet. I don't have a smart phone either. I only need a phone to call out on or for incoming calls. I don't need internet on my phone. I don't text either. All of this technology is great for some but not for me. It complicates things too much for me.

I don't tweet but follow my granddaughter on Instagram. All the teens use Instagram as Facebook has turned into moms and grandmoms domain. I text a lot as most of my friends text me. Texting is so convenient. You don't have to worry about disturbing anyone with a ringing phone. What is amazing to me is how high tech my vehicle is. My grands can watch a dvd in the back with wireless headphones and while I listen to the news, send messages or have messages read to me, call anyone without using my phone and of course push one button for instant person to person help.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I googled How to use twitter and found some good tutorials. My take is that you set up an account, send out short messages to people who know you/follow you, and read messages from people you know and follow.

If you use a hashtag, i.e., #quiltingboard, then people who want to hear about the quiltingboard can search for messages with that hashtag and read them all. It's like giving a tag or a title to your tweet so other people who might be interested can find it.

Some people follow celebrities or organizations. A tweet can contain a link to something else, so if you want to spread the word about an article or picture, you can tweet the link and everyone who follows you can check it out and, if they choose, can retweet it and pass it along to others.

I hope that makes sense. I don't use it because I waste enough time online as it is!
    One use of Twitter I have noticed is fandom. In other words, if you are a big fan of a particular tv show, you can search on hashtag (your tv show name) and join in on live tweets when the show is on.

Also, you can get tweets from your local news, alerting you to breaking news/weather items.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I follow on twitter but I to would like to know how to tweet Why do they keep it such a secret will be watching here
    Click Tweet and write your tweet. Most apps are intuitive. No real instructions
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Also, if you want to tweet someone directly, put the @ in front of their screen name. @shan70 is mine if anyone makes progress, lol. Lots of great #quilting things to follow!

Power Poster
    Find a 16 year ols and they will show you. I don't tweet of facebook. Too many other things I would rather do...

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post

Thanks for this good info. I have a Twitter account, but have never used it, so I don't know how. I do get updates in my e-mail about it.

I had an old flip phone and DH said we need to get with the times so he got each of us new phones......omg! I did finally learn how to text, but then my phone rang and I had no clue how to answer the call so I had to send my daughter a text and tell her I don't know how to answer your call? Of course she had a good laugh, then sent my GD over to teach me some of the ropes. I'm still in the dark about most of what it can do......

Blog Entries
    Love that you referred to the 'pound' sign. At one point it was also the 'number' sign. Where the heck did the word 'hashtag' come from?