Who Understands Algebra?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM

In a couple of weeks I am starting college, at the age of 53 :shock: and I am nervous about it. But I am finding what is more frustrating for me is learning Algebra!! I am taking classes to get me prepared but I am having a hard time understanding it. When I was in school it was not required so I don't have anything to fall back on. I have this opportunity because my job went south.
I just wondered if anyone else understand Algebra? Is it a breeze for you, and is it something you use? Thanks :D :D
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Algebra was not my favorite subject in school to say the least. I now live with a genuine math geek engineer for a husband and a daughter that is just as bad. She is taking calculus and I can't make heads or tails of it!

One of my friends who does not have a math geek husband, recommends http://www.algebrahelp.com/ as a good resource. Apprently, you can put in a problem and it will work it out for you step by step. She uses it to help her son with algebra homework.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

I had some trouble with Algebra, but Geometry was a breeze. I found more recently that what I didn't get in Algebra stemmed back to where in long division I got lost, or something. Basically, something that I didn't understand the steps of in previous math (but your mind just computes so it doesn't matter that you didn't do the individual steps) was missing, then I could do the Algebra.

Just a matter of finding what your brain skipped over before and taking it step by step.

Good for you for going back to school, and good luck! Learning can be so much fun!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM

I used to know all that..Algebra, Trig, Calculus. I was going to be an Architect/Engineer. But I opened my own company at 17 to support my son.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Get Danica McKellar's books - Math Doesn't Suck and Kiss My Math. While they are geared towards middle school girls they really will help. Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM

I have enjoyed algebra. But then, I had good teachers.

My children are out of the house now, so no students to make recommendations of resources. My DH is an engineer, and DD #1 teaches high school math... So I can't get away from it. :lol: :lol:
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM

When I went back to school and was afraid of Algebra also, I found there are tapes at the local library on the subject (and many others) that really helped me to step through the problems. I brushed up a bit before starting school, then used the tape periodically during the semester to help understand what we were working on at the time. Don't worry, it's normal to doubt your self, but you'll do just fine. And congrats on going back to school. I went back in my 40s and found I really enjoyed it.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

I went back to school 2 years ago ( still in) but I got math out of the way ASAP because I hate math......I got a tutor.....WOrked with a math tutor everyday and it made a world of difference! My math tutor was a high school student which was embarrassing ( i thought ) at first but I realized that some people have math brains and some people don't....I am one of those that don't.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Actually, I had toruble with arithmetic. Algebra made everything come clear for me. So I'm good with algebra, though I've long forgotten linear equations and quadratic equations.

Feel free to PM if you need help.

Mostly you have to get over feeling intimidated by it. You're going to be a better learner at 53 than you were in high school, believe it or not. So if the teens can do it, you can, too.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

I went back to school in the 90's and I too had never taken Algebra in high school. After a couple of weeks, I told the professor "Telling me a negative times a negative equals a positive is like telling me I can bounce a check today and bounce a check tomorrow and still have money in my account". She said "Barb, just follow the rules and you'll be fine". I listened to her and came out of the class with a B. I was thrilled. Don't get yourself worked up about it, just remember to follow the silly rules :)