Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's Flying??

do we have many members that are also members of flylady.net? I just joined. I'm pretty excited to get started, but I cring ever time I read about someone flinging their quilting stash. eeeekkk.

never heard of it, what is it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that site. I will go and browse. I am a tosser, but am married to a "hoarder" so this may bring us some calm (smile).

Welcome from Iowa.

Blog Entries
    I know, last year I went to a yard sale of a quilter who was quitting quilting. I didn't know we could do that! :-) I bought everything I could and she had plenty of stuff! It must take a lot of courage to chuck it all. BTW, she was taking up another costly hobby: genealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    never heard of it, what is it?
    flylady.net is a website to help us declutter and clean our houses and finally love yourself (FLY).

Blog Entries
    I have been following flylady for about 7 years on and off. A quilting friend told me about her. I've 'cruised through' her holiday missions for years and it makes things much easier. I won't tell her that some of us quilters refuse to toss our stashes :-D

Yes! I am a "Fly Baby"
    Flinging stash is very difficult for me so I don't unless it's just crap...but I am trying to purge the house of stuff that I haven't used in ten years that is broken or doesn't fit anymore...

Remember... 15 mins at a time will recover your house and your health.

totally want my hubby to check this out! LOL I am more on the practically dont need it dont keep it mentality. My hubby is the save it forever kind of guy. We are both 25. We have way too much stuff. If he continues to keep things like he does I'm scared to see what we will have by the time he is 50 lol.

I have followed flylady somewhat for several years. It was after I retired and I just wanted to be a little bit lazy and do what I wanted whenever I wanted, etc. However, I did declutter my entire house, garage, basement and any other corner I could find. I also use her holiday missions and the daily ones are good too. And yes, I decluttered my sewing room. It is possible and it wasn't painful. I had fabric I knew I'd never use so I donated it to people who I was sure would make good use of it. Last Sept. I even went through all the paperwork, tax papers, and it is a good feeling to know where everything is and to be able to find something in a hurry when I need it.

Blog Entries
    Tried it for awhile. Takes dedication and all mine goes to sewing/quilting!

Blog Entries
    I've yet to fly..but I'm fluttering :)

I dont 'fling' anything......... in fact alot of my quilting friends give me their fabric leftovers which get made into charity quilts, pet quilts, whatever....... if I cant use it, someone else can.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    I dont 'fling' anything......... in fact alot of my quilting friends give me their fabric leftovers which get made into charity quilts, pet quilts, whatever....... if I cant use it, someone else can.
    Ditto..!!! I would love some 'flung' my way.. I make charity quilts..

Blog Entries
    Yes I am a flybaby and I love the site. So helpful to have the house broken down into manageable pieces. Some things you have to take with a grain of salt and remember what is chaos and clutter to others is not necessarily clutter to us. But if anyone really wants to fling there stash I will help them (they can send it to me) .... LOL

I tried it years ago but she kept insisting I had to wear shoes. In the house.

kewl, thanks or explaining

Blog Entries
    Yes, and she did insist that we all wear lace up shoes. First I laughed, then after I broke my ankle badly, now I HAVE to wear lace up boots that help keep my ankle upright. Ok to wear others for an hour or so but at the expense of a lot of pain later.

Flylady is my heroine, have one of her stick-ones on my fridge front. The ONLY one there, except for the calendar on the side with a grocery list beside it. Only one thing on top of the fridge.

I'm still de-cluttering and to my surprise, my small house has gotten larger. 15 minutes at a time, I'm working on getting unneeded objects out of my life. That does include some fabrics I hate, some sewing stuff I'll never use (Pretty Punch threads, etc) and lots of other little stuff that adds up to masses of stuff I've never used, will not ever use, don't know why I got it in the first place. Now it's going to bless someone else.

I fly with everything else in my life except dogs and quilting.

I need to sign up.

I used to be bad at keeping (useless) items because you never know when you might need them. Then I talked to an older friend of mine who had just cleaned out her elderly mother's house after her death. Her mother had a large house and there was one room that was just full of JARS.
    After that, I imagine what people will think of my junk if I should go, when I picture them rolling their eyes and shaking their heads, it's enough to make me throw out the junk.

Sounds like something I should investigate - I am in danger of becoming like the lady with the jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I tried it years ago but she kept insisting I had to wear shoes. In the house.
    lol...
    I started with the sisters that inspired FlyLady... yup did the complete file box system... still have it... it worked about 1 month... kept getting behind... I like the 15 min. idea and the timer... now if I could get my mother to understand that just because I'm working on something and take a break that I have not necessarily completed the task.... that's another story... has to do with dementia....

Blog Entries
    Im fluttering.. but keep trying to fly. Is it possible to declutter everthing but fabric and sewing supplies? Because in that area, I think I'm a hoarder!

I found out about fly lady a few years back and her suggestions really helped to change my life. My main problem was laziness! so now I try to maintain a somewhat presentable house....remove clutter ( i have a very small stash) and make myself look decent everyday even if I stay home b/c it just makes me feel better. I don't do alot of what she recommends but you can pick and choose just a few things at a time to improve your life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    do we have many members that are also members of flylady.net? I just joined. I'm pretty excited to get started, but I cring ever time I read about someone flinging their quilting stash. eeeekkk.
    I learned to let go of things I don't love or don't think I will use. I take it with me to my quilt group and others that can use it are happy! I have accumulated alot of stuff! I find I am working better with less clutter. I saved alot of scraps and had too many projects going and to do. Believe me I have a long way to go, but her little steps and starting where you are now really help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast