Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why Do We Have To Shave Our Legs? >

Why Do We Have To Shave Our Legs?

Why Do We Have To Shave Our Legs?

Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I tell hubby the reason why I don't shave mine much is because I'm already married. lol
Told him if I were still dating/looking for someone, I'd shave, but since he doesn't complain much....I don't shave much lol
that's me too. I do shave in the summer if I'm going to wear shorts.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Who starting this leg shaving crap anyway???
OK I'm going to bore everyone now, eventhough I know you were just venting but I think I know the reason women began shaving.
(I know alot more use-less stuff too...lol).
I watch a lot of silent movies (Love them!!) and the really early ones (1912 - 1918 or 1919) had women with hairy armpits in sleeveless dresses all the time.
The men didn't seem to mind....they were sweeping them off their feet etc.
But during WWI a razor blade company (to increase their sales) started a campaign to make women feel "hairy and old fashioned" and said they'd feel cleaner for their returning Doughboys if they shaved.
"And your Doughboy will come home to a modern girl".
They got more and more actresses to do it before they put on sleeveless dresses in a film and of course, the women who went to the movies noticed and started shaving too. :-)
So there you are.
Blame Hollywood...ha.
Shaving legs came along in the 1930s I think, although I remember the mothers of some of my friends in the 1950s and they had VERY hairy legs mashed under their nylons. Ick.
Now who'd like to hear why we bathe daily????
:P :P :P
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Um I shave them because I love my ankle rubs I get every night when we watch t.v. Otherwise if I dont shave it get these great comments like ok sashquach (spell check). ... and I am blonde with minimal leg hair. Best part of getting older? Less leg hair.. unfortunately.. why is it showing up on my FACE??? peach fuzz is still peach fuzz.. only gorgeous on PEACHES!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM

ps it slows up on the legs and arms when you go through mental pause, I mean menapause.. otherwise its full steam ahead I am afraid. My engine ran out of steam at 38.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM

[What I want to know is, how old do you have to be before the leg and pit hair eases up? I'm 50 now.[/quote]

Oh, about another 8-10 years give or take.

Also, I've been waiting for several years now for those dreaded chin hairs that everyone talks about to take root, but so far I haven't had a one. I do, however, have a very dear friend who at 80 years old has the biggest mustache I've ever seen on a woman and she's had it for all the years I've known her (18). Now, I can promise you if that thing was above my upper lip it would be history in no time. Lord knows, shaving that one little spot is a whole heck of a lot easier than a whole leg, nevermind two of them.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lockeb
Well, you know I just had to jump in on this one......just not sure what to comment :-)
Ah, come on - you just gotta have something to add:) :)
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clothfiend
[What I want to know is, how old do you have to be before the leg and pit hair eases up? I'm 50 now.
Oh, about another 8-10 years give or take.

Also, I've been waiting for several years now for those dreaded chin hairs that everyone talks about to take root, but so far I haven't had a one. I do, however, have a very dear friend who at 80 years old has the biggest mustache I've ever seen on a woman and she's had it for all the years I've known her (18). Now, I can promise you if that thing was above my upper lip it would be history in no time. Lord knows, shaving that one little spot is a whole heck of a lot easier than a whole leg, nevermind two of them.[/quote]

Sorry, I found this hilarious!!! Poor lady!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Damn this is fun!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-16973.gif  
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
As far as shaving above your knees...it is an old wives tale as far as I am concerned about your hair getting more course and hairy. My ex-SIL was German and did not shave. Sorry, but it was disgusting.
Whether or not it's true, since I have enough hair to notice on my thighs, they get shaved. Even though my miniskirt and short-shorts days are long past and no one sees them.

fabric-holic, I loved reading your info on how shaving legs probably started! And if you have info on bathing, I'd be interested in reading that, too!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM

So why does the hair on your head turn grey or white while the chin hairs are always dark black???