Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Will you be making your Christmas Gifts? >

Will you be making your Christmas Gifts?

Will you be making your Christmas Gifts?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Google Goddess

Will you be making your Christmas gifts?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 AM

yes, I'm working on them now. I told my family, if it's not quilted, I won't be giving it. That leaves me lots of options for everyone - from placemats and potholders to quilts and totes, etc.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 AM

I have 4 T-shirt quilts to make.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 AM

Would love to but my family prefers store bought over hand made. DUMBIES. hahaha Oh well, you get what you get.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 AM

I will be making several quilts, just not quite sure how many yet! Maybe some table runners and a wall hanging, and a purse or two.

I better get hopping!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 AM

I am making new quilts for the DDs and who knows what else I will find to do for everyone else.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

My niece wants a "kitty quilt", but thats about the only one I can think of right now!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

as a child growing up out in the country being raised by a single mom with 5 kids she taught us to always make our gifts...if we don't have the time or the inclination to make it, then...don't bother ...is the attitued in my family. my mom would probably drop through the floor if i bought her something...about 20 years ago my kids and i did buy a gift for my mom...she returned it...we were living 3000 miles away and i thought it was something she would love...we didn't make it, she didn't want it.
now with my granddaughter's they don't care if it's made by you or purchased, and my dh's family ...i don't think any of them have any idea what it means to make anything. they loved the quilts they have received but the gifts from them...go to the store and buy 10 snuggies because they are on sale...there everyone done...
i get an attitude about gifts like that...i don't mind gift cards or what ever but really feel that it doesn't matter if you make it or buy it, what matters is that you put forth a little effort to pick out something special for a particular person...save the 10 snuggies for generic gifting (office/ drawings ect) put a little thought into something for a family member.
so, now with all that said...i have about 10 people to 'make--for' and another 3 or 4 to buy for...and i get together for crafty weekends with my granddaughter's to help them make some of their gifts
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 AM

yes. I've already put up my first batch of blueberry jam for the year, and I'll be knitting a pair of really cute cat hats for my stepgranddaughter and her mom (my stepson's "babymama" - nobody bothers to get married anymore, it seems).

Our extended family always says "no gifts!" and then everyone always has them on Xmas eve...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

We buy everything for family for gifts but I like to make little things for friends and gals in my 2 quilt groups etc so all yr I work on small items..this yr I have done many "snap bags", fancy knit face cloths..not dishcloths..will add nice handmade soap with those and little things like that..one yr I made lots of handmade paper and made it into notecards ...fold a notes.
I like to have little things like that on hand for all yr. when I need a little something.