Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this winter driving you batty?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    Who was it said there was "global warming"? LOL. Not around here!
    They've changed their minds on global warming. Its now called Climate Change. I call it BULL!

Nope the winter hasn't bothered me a bit. I've a great hobby that keeps me busy. Good thing, because I've only been off the property 3 times since christmas. Opening the blinds and curtains and working with bright colors. The snow reflects so much beautiful natural light into the studio. I'm sure I'll miss that when its 100 degrees. It must be the snow that has caused me to paint all the furniture in my studio snow white. Just finishing up the last cabinet today. Very productive winter indeed! You can get alot done when you can't go places. Taking advantage of a bad situation, all is good!

Blog Entries
    I'm not so much tired of winter, but I want to GARDEN. This winter has been the longest and coldest that we've had in Ontario for a long time. I guess we will get used to it if it becomes the new norm. But right now all I can think of is all those lovely flowers under the snow. My rabbit barriers are still holding.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    I'm not so much tired of winter, but I want to GARDEN. This winter has been the longest and coldest that we've had in Ontario for a long time. I guess we will get used to it if it becomes the new norm. But right now all I can think of is all those lovely flowers under the snow. My rabbit barriers are still holding.
    MaryKatherine
    Hi. What kind of barriers do you use to keep out the bunnies?
    The rabbits and squirrels and moose are always a nuisance here.

Blog Entries
    Just heard this morning that we have had 50 days of below zero temperatures here in St. Paul/Mpls. It is fifth in the coldest of winters - That isn't counting the windchill either. The coldest winter was in 1875 or 1879 at 60 days. Now we can look forward to breaking that record. Sort of makes the cold weather a challenge, eh? Hey, if I have to go out, I go out, if I can stay in, I stay in. I saw robins in the neighbor's tree yesterday and I know that "If winter's here, can spring be far behind?" Spring always comes, it goes with the world as it was created.

I went to the cemetery (first anniversary of my husband's death). Went out to Fort Snelling National Cemetery. It was a beautiful clear sunny day, the temp was about -11. I just had this urge to go. So I did! There was a path where people could walk. Not yesterday. I figured (brain frozen that I am) that the path would have been plowed out for people to walk through. Au contraire! I didn't wear my boots, I had my Mary Janes on. Did you know that velcro freezes and doesn't stick to the soft furry stuff? I lost my shoes three times. I put my rose into the snow, told my husband, it was too d--- cold out here (no trees whatsoever) and I was going home. Got in the car, took off my scarf, my gloves, and my shoes. Drove home in my stocking feet, the car got up to 80 degrees inside and it was so nice and cozy warm. I am so glad I went anyhow. It really gave me the warm fuzzies knowing that I walked through 3-1/2 feet of virgin snow to visit my husband's grave. More to the point, I'm 75 and for all intents and purposes I should have known better, right? Funny what a frozen brain and the uncontrollable urge to go to the cemetery can be to a person. But I did tell him that I wasn't going to do that again.

We can be tired of winter - but haven't we had fun talking about it, the cold weather, the ice, everything that comes normally with a winter? And as soon as that last icicle has melted off the eave, we will have forgotten all about it. I know because I thought last year was bad. It wasn't as bad as this year and this year won't be as bad as next year. So we Minnesotans love it or leave it and I am staying right here, thank you very much.

I'm having fun with winter - we only have 17 more days left of winter, but guess what? March and April can be worse than February and March here. IT'S HIGH SCHOOL TOURNAMENT TIME!!!!!! Party hearty folks. It'll be a long time before the next first snowfall!!!!!!!

Enjoy the day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    Not nearly as much as my DH who does not have time consuming indoor hobbies. I wish he would get into making fishing flies or something. HE is the one going nuts.
    My husband, too. He's tired of snow blowing the driveway and anxious to get out on the golf course. I LOVE this weather. I have an excuse not to go out, and just stay in and sew. Of course, if I were still working, I'd probably feel differently!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    Hi. What kind of barriers do you use to keep out the bunnies?
    The rabbits and squirrels and moose are always a nuisance here.
    I live in a new subdivision that drove all the animals out of the fields and into our yards. Last winter the rabbits ate a lot to the ground, Fortunately most of it suckered. My last neighbour finally agreed to fence so I only had the walkways between the house left. I put 4 foot chicken wire in. Mind you. I've had to dig to lower the snow level a couple of times so they couldn't go over. So far I'm ahead.
    But I did tie and wrap all my shrubs and trees with burlap, chicken wire and drainage conduits. I have one spot by the front door that I keep shoveling the snow back onto the stems of my climbing roses. The bunnies try to dig it out every night. I didn't want to have chicken wire at the front door but next fall, Ill make it part of my Christmas décor.
    Funny how we love all these animals and want them around.....but they must learn NOT to eat everything. Ha!
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I am actually scared of what spring is going to be like with all the melting snow and ice where is it going to go. I heard on the news last week that in some places the ground is frozen 20 feet below the surface and they were not referring yo the artic. I am nervous about what kind of storms we are going to have if our winter was any kind of indication and last year we had way to many bad storms.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    I live in a new subdivision that drove all the animals out of the fields and into our yards. Last winter the rabbits ate a lot to the ground, Fortunately most of it suckered. My last neighbour finally agreed to fence so I only had the walkways between the house left. I put 4 foot chicken wire in. Mind you. I've had to dig to lower the snow level a couple of times so they couldn't go over. So far I'm ahead.
    But I did tie and wrap all my shrubs and trees with burlap, chicken wire and drainage conduits. I have one spot by the front door that I keep shoveling the snow back onto the stems of my climbing roses. The bunnies try to dig it out every night. I didn't want to have chicken wire at the front door but next fall, Ill make it part of my Christmas décor.
    Funny how we love all these animals and want them around.....but they must learn NOT to eat everything. Ha!
    MaryKatherine
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate it.

The chicken wire is what is used here. The bunnies can do a lot of damage. One year squirrels dug up all my hyacinth bulbs....thankfully it was just that one year. Moose eat the tips of my shrubs. They seem to like the climbing hydrangea and the rhoddies. DH puts on the burlap in the fall but it's early spring...when the burlap has been removed.....that the moose do the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo M View Post
    Yep, I'm more than ready for SPRING! I feel your pain, Suze9395. DH doesn't have indoor hobbies either. Keeps dragging me off to cross-country ski or snowshoe...when I'd rather be in my cozy little sewing room. He's mentioned ice fishing more than once, but that's where I'm drawing the line. It's just TOO cold to sit on a bucket - on a frozen lake, staring at a little hole in the ice. Not going there.
    Oh I envy you that your DH likes to go snowshoeing and XxSkiing. Mine has no hobby's inside or out and I love winter and winter fun outside with fresh air and no bugs. so I am always leaving him behind to go outside with my daughter or friends to play.I also have so many hobbies inside also such as SEWING! Practicing my piano, etc.

I've been trying to go to a gym just to get out. How (sic) is that?

Blog Entries
    Spring must be around the corner if the birds have antlything to do with it. They were busy yesterday afternoon flying in and out of the birdhouse I have in my yard. Hsd funvsewing and eatching them in my warm dining room. Maybe they are aware of something that we aren't and spring is actually going to be here soon. Wishful thinking!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    They've changed their minds on global warming. Its now called Climate Change. I call it BULL!

Nope the winter hasn't bothered me a bit. I've a great hobby that keeps me busy. Good thing, because I've only been off the property 3 times since christmas. Opening the blinds and curtains and working with bright colors. The snow reflects so much beautiful natural light into the studio. I'm sure I'll miss that when its 100 degrees. It must be the snow that has caused me to paint all the furniture in my studio snow white. Just finishing up the last cabinet today. Very productive winter indeed! You can get alot done when you can't go places. Taking advantage of a bad situation, all is good!
    Healthy attitude, Leatheflea! You are right. My mom always said that you get so much more done when you don't go out. She always stayed home during the day even though my dad left her the car at home. She always accomplished so much. I also save a lot of money when I stay home, even though I shop a little online.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes in the winter I purposly don't get dressed or do my hair so I can't go any where.

YES - I just saw something that said if you wanted to see four seasons in 2 days - come to Texas. I know we haven't had it as bad as everyone else but it just keeps going up then down. Saturday our high was 86 and Sunday our high was 25 and that was early in the am.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Not so much going batty, but have finally figured out why I've been having watery, itchy eyes, sneezing, going thru Kleenex (like Grant took Richmond). I'm allergic to snow!!. Ever since the first of the year, I've had this problem.
    I have an air-born mold allergy and whenever it rains or the snow is really heavy and wet, I have the same symptoms! Plus a sore throat and feel achy.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

I love winter! I love snow and I don't get "cabin fever" either. If you do, increase your D vitamin.
    I have too many crafts and grandkids to break the boredom!!
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Blog Entries
    Soon all the complaints will be about the rain or the heat. Take heart Spring is only 16 days away.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I hear you Trisher ! Usually whatever Winnipeg gets, heads our way & 2 days ago we also had temps of -48 & approx. -41 for the following 2 days (temps are with the wind chill). I have never seen so much wind our way & lots of us figure it's due to the fact that the lumber companies are doing so much clear cutting & there are not enough trees left to protect us. I can't wait for warmer weather but I think it's going to be a while yet. My dh & I are obsessive golfers in the summer so we get very itchy for the season to start. Thank goodness I have my quilting or I really would be in the loonie bin !! LOL
    Dance like no one is watching

We live 45 minutes S.W. of Fort Worth, Texas. Been here 13 years and this is the coldest winter we have had. You name it, wind, snow, and the polar vortex which created an ice storm that lasted for almost a week.Yup.......I am stir crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    The last couple of weeks have truly tested my patience. I am so fortunate to be retired. I don't have to drive to and from work in all kinds of lousy road conditions and frigid temps. Don't have to risk falling in icy parking lots. I've spent literally weeks sewing like crazy and completed several UFO's. Now I'm feeling burned out from so much sewing and reading. Would love to see an early spring but frankly, don't think that will happen this year.
    I know what you mean. I am bored and have cabin fever because the weather has been so bad here in the northeast. But I'm also VERY happy to be retired and not have to go out, and especially not have to drive 300 miles a week to and from work.

Blog Entries
    I will remember this winter forever! Not only for the weather but for the past four weeks I have been home in a non weight bearing cast, as I have broken my right heel. When it broke it pulled my Achilles tendon from the bone. So here I sit. Two and a half years ago I did the exact same thing to my left foot. This is getting old!
    Judi from Denver, aka Nonna Judi

Even those of us who are much farther south are having crazy winter going on. Yes we may intersperse it with spring every few days, but 80 on Saturday and 30 something by noon on Sunday is a sure fire recipe for ending up fighting a cold. Especially when working weekends in an outdoor venue! Thank goodness it's supposed to be mid 50s tomorrow but still 30s at night.

Blog Entries
    Guess I'm in the minority--I love winter. It's the long stretches of hothot sunny days in the summer that make me crazy.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I'm so tired of being cold. The older I get the worse my body feels it too. I hate when it feels like my bones are cold. I work a job and our little section of the IT dept is 24/7 support so if it looks like I might not be able to make it in the following morning, I have to spend the night at work, if my co-worker doesn't make it in that evening, I have to stay and work until relief shows up. We've had four snows this yr, not dustings, which is a record for us. The last two came after a day of 75 degree weather down to the teens and snow which is crazy. I wouldn't mind it if I could stay home and keep warm and then not have to worry about paying the heating bills that follow but that's not going to happen for a long time. Even though the hospital I work for says if you don't feel you can make it in safely to stay home, I feel guilty because I know that if I don't make it in the person working the night shift can't go home. So it takes alot for me to not go in due to the weather. I just want the 70 to 80 degree weather to come, not over the top hot but I'd take that before the cold.
    Judy

Yes, I am wishing I could have a couple weeks in Florida or somewhere warm. Several friends are there and I'm jealous. Vermont is very beautiful in the snow, but I figure flowers and beaches are beautiful too. Driveway was so icy a few times we had to slide to the car and drive the 30 feet down to our mailbox and back. I agree it's great not to have to go out at all in bad weather now that I'm retired. Spend a lot of time in my cheetah print fleece jammies that I got for Christmas, and so far I have finished 8 quilts of various sizes and eleven mug rugs, most of which were sent out at Valentine's Day with cookies. Our February guild meeting was cancelled for a storm, but I'm hoping to get to this month's meeting tonight. Will show off what I've been doing, three of which are for kids through charity quilt project. Personally, I hate February. Everything awful that has happened to me, including two surgeries and deaths of both parents were in Feb. So now my motto is, MARCH ON! Sadly, we can't expect really decent weather here for over two months. After snow comes Mud Season and we have a dirt driveway. Sigh.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast