Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is this winter driving you batty? >

Is this winter driving you batty?

Is this winter driving you batty?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
Hi. What kind of barriers do you use to keep out the bunnies?
The rabbits and squirrels and moose are always a nuisance here.
I live in a new subdivision that drove all the animals out of the fields and into our yards. Last winter the rabbits ate a lot to the ground, Fortunately most of it suckered. My last neighbour finally agreed to fence so I only had the walkways between the house left. I put 4 foot chicken wire in. Mind you. I've had to dig to lower the snow level a couple of times so they couldn't go over. So far I'm ahead.
But I did tie and wrap all my shrubs and trees with burlap, chicken wire and drainage conduits. I have one spot by the front door that I keep shoveling the snow back onto the stems of my climbing roses. The bunnies try to dig it out every night. I didn't want to have chicken wire at the front door but next fall, Ill make it part of my Christmas décor.
Funny how we love all these animals and want them around.....but they must learn NOT to eat everything. Ha!
MaryKatherine
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 AM

I am actually scared of what spring is going to be like with all the melting snow and ice where is it going to go. I heard on the news last week that in some places the ground is frozen 20 feet below the surface and they were not referring yo the artic. I am nervous about what kind of storms we are going to have if our winter was any kind of indication and last year we had way to many bad storms.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I live in a new subdivision that drove all the animals out of the fields and into our yards. Last winter the rabbits ate a lot to the ground, Fortunately most of it suckered. My last neighbour finally agreed to fence so I only had the walkways between the house left. I put 4 foot chicken wire in. Mind you. I've had to dig to lower the snow level a couple of times so they couldn't go over. So far I'm ahead.
But I did tie and wrap all my shrubs and trees with burlap, chicken wire and drainage conduits. I have one spot by the front door that I keep shoveling the snow back onto the stems of my climbing roses. The bunnies try to dig it out every night. I didn't want to have chicken wire at the front door but next fall, Ill make it part of my Christmas décor.
Funny how we love all these animals and want them around.....but they must learn NOT to eat everything. Ha!
MaryKatherine
Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate it.

The chicken wire is what is used here. The bunnies can do a lot of damage. One year squirrels dug up all my hyacinth bulbs....thankfully it was just that one year. Moose eat the tips of my shrubs. They seem to like the climbing hydrangea and the rhoddies. DH puts on the burlap in the fall but it's early spring...when the burlap has been removed.....that the moose do the damage.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jo M View Post
Yep, I'm more than ready for SPRING! I feel your pain, Suze9395. DH doesn't have indoor hobbies either. Keeps dragging me off to cross-country ski or snowshoe...when I'd rather be in my cozy little sewing room. He's mentioned ice fishing more than once, but that's where I'm drawing the line. It's just TOO cold to sit on a bucket - on a frozen lake, staring at a little hole in the ice. Not going there.
Oh I envy you that your DH likes to go snowshoeing and XxSkiing. Mine has no hobby's inside or out and I love winter and winter fun outside with fresh air and no bugs. so I am always leaving him behind to go outside with my daughter or friends to play.I also have so many hobbies inside also such as SEWING! Practicing my piano, etc.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM

I've been trying to go to a gym just to get out. How (sic) is that?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM

Spring must be around the corner if the birds have antlything to do with it. They were busy yesterday afternoon flying in and out of the birdhouse I have in my yard. Hsd funvsewing and eatching them in my warm dining room. Maybe they are aware of something that we aren't and spring is actually going to be here soon. Wishful thinking!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
They've changed their minds on global warming. Its now called Climate Change. I call it BULL!

Nope the winter hasn't bothered me a bit. I've a great hobby that keeps me busy. Good thing, because I've only been off the property 3 times since christmas. Opening the blinds and curtains and working with bright colors. The snow reflects so much beautiful natural light into the studio. I'm sure I'll miss that when its 100 degrees. It must be the snow that has caused me to paint all the furniture in my studio snow white. Just finishing up the last cabinet today. Very productive winter indeed! You can get alot done when you can't go places. Taking advantage of a bad situation, all is good!
Healthy attitude, Leatheflea! You are right. My mom always said that you get so much more done when you don't go out. She always stayed home during the day even though my dad left her the car at home. She always accomplished so much. I also save a lot of money when I stay home, even though I shop a little online.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Sometimes in the winter I purposly don't get dressed or do my hair so I can't go any where.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM

YES - I just saw something that said if you wanted to see four seasons in 2 days - come to Texas. I know we haven't had it as bad as everyone else but it just keeps going up then down. Saturday our high was 86 and Sunday our high was 25 and that was early in the am.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Not so much going batty, but have finally figured out why I've been having watery, itchy eyes, sneezing, going thru Kleenex (like Grant took Richmond). I'm allergic to snow!!. Ever since the first of the year, I've had this problem.
I have an air-born mold allergy and whenever it rains or the snow is really heavy and wet, I have the same symptoms! Plus a sore throat and feel achy.