Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
would you eat WOOD...but you do already! >

would you eat WOOD...but you do already!

would you eat WOOD...but you do already!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM

If you want to hear about a high grocery bill ask someone who is on a gluten free diet. Wheat is the cheapest thing there is and when you have to have a gluten free substitute for it then you are talking about $5 a loaf of bread no matter if you bake it or buy it, even if you mix your "flour" mixture or buy that. Baking all of your own crackers, pasta, pretzels, etc. or shopping so carefully to buy only meats, sausage, hams, canned veggies, etc. that is processed with no flour what so ever in the process (even if it is not in the food, flour is frequently used to keep machinery non-sticky) is a very time consuming and expensive procedure. Usually most products have to come from speciality stores. This diet will make the grocery bill of a normal diet, even using pre-packaged products, seem cheap! Some cities have better stocked gluten free sections than other cities, but towns seldom have much at all.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Cellulose is a natural part of several foods such as oranges and celery. I think it is also found in most beans. Do we have someone on the QB who has studied this? I was of the opinion that almost all high fiber foods had cellulose as their fiber and it was natural in its occurance and was seldom if ever digestible. It's value to our digestive system is the fact that it isn't digestible. Without it we would be taking laxatives every day. Or am I mistaken?
You are correct, a quick google of Cellulose laxatives pulls up quite a few entries.
But, if you are eating at Taco Bell or the McRib, well cellulose is the least of your worries.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
If you want to hear about a high grocery bill ask someone who is on a gluten free diet. Wheat is the cheapest thing there is and when you have to have a gluten free substitute for it then you are talking about $5 a loaf of bread no matter if you bake it or buy it, even if you mix your "flour" mixture or buy that. Baking all of your own crackers, pasta, pretzels, etc. or shopping so carefully to buy only meats, sausage, hams, canned veggies, etc. that is processed with no flour what so ever in the process (even if it is not in the food, flour is frequently used to keep machinery non-sticky) is a very time consuming and expensive procedure. Usually most products have to come from speciality stores. This diet will make the grocery bill of a normal diet, even using pre-packaged products, seem cheap! Some cities have better stocked gluten free sections than other cities, but towns seldom have much at all.
I hear you TanyaL - I am gluten free too - it is hard to maintain, and expensive. Luckily, here in Australia, there is much more food available now, even in small towns. I have a bakery near me that is 100% gluten free - none of the equipment has ever been used to make gluten - it is heaven. If you ever get to Melbourne, Australia, come on over for a meal :P
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 AM

Glad I don't eat any of that stuff but it makes me wonder about the stuff I don't know about...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Cellulose would be the least of my worries in all of those foods..they are nothing but industrial garbage that should be avoided.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 AM

Do any of you know someone who has good health strictly because they eat a diet with no commercial additives in the diet? They never eat at fast food places or even chain restaurants, don't buy canned or packaged food products, don't eat candy, drink soft drinks, etc. I don't personally know anyone like that and I also don't know anyone over the age of 50 who is totally healthy with no health problems of any kind. I have no idea if there is a connection considering genetic DNA, pollution, contagion, viral cancers, stress factors, etc.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Me and my DH haven't been to the Dr. for illness in years. No flu, nor do we catch every bug going around and no flu shots. We get yearly check ups. We are over 50 and have no illness problems. I believe what you eat is a big part of your health. We don't eat fast food and very little restaurant foods. I don't buy processed foods either. DH was hard to convert when I first learned about foods and how they effect your health long term. Now he can tell the difference with his health to that of his friends. I've never been in the situation of going hungry or eat junk. One cup of blueberries or a bag of fast food for dinner? My kids never had the choice to begin with and they are adults with kids and more strict then I was about what food their kids eat. Less is more when the less is better.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 11-23-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

We are pretty good about doing all of our own cooking..no packaged meals and no sodas but we do love our WHEAT THINS...oh no!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM

really,this is just another "the sky is falling" hype. Unless you truly have a food related health problem like an allergy, moderation in what/how you eat is just fine.
TanyaL- i was stumbled onto the glutenfree area of the bulk food store where i shop the other day-could not believe the cost difference.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Watch Dr. Oz. He'll scare you healthy.