Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
YIPPEE!!!  A trip is in the planning stages! >

YIPPEE!!! A trip is in the planning stages!

YIPPEE!!! A trip is in the planning stages!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Since you are all family, I just HAVE to share this!!! My dear SIL has invited me to go to Washington DC with her! YAY... My DH won't get on a plane and won't drive in the east...so this is a dream I didn't think I'd ever get to do. After a day or two of touring the capital (I know, not enough time) we're going to rent a car and go tour Lancaster!!! Then we'll hop a plane and go to Atlanta and search out my ancesterial homes...maybe even get to see a relative or two!

I'm so excited about it -- I didn't even buy fabric when in town today -- gotta save $$$! So, everyone, what should I plan on seeing while there??? Special fabric stores???
:D
Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

OOOOOh so lucky. Enjoy your trip for me too.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

What a wonderful adventure for you. You'll have a great time I'm sure. When do you go?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Enjoy! Nice opportunity.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM

How fun!

I think the best things I saw in D.C. were the Smithsonian, the Holocaust Museum and the Mall, with all the memorials, Lincoln, Washington, Korea, Vietnam. Oh, then there is the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, and Arlington! If you want to see the US Capitol, you need to book a tour in advance - either online or through your congressmen.

There is so much to see and do! You will want to go back just to see the rest of it!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Oh, forgot to mention -- we're leaving in May. Good advice - I hadn't thought of booking ahead of time!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Save your money for the quilt shops in Lancaster. There are lots of them and the prices are really good.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:43 AM

In addition to the places mentioned by oatw13, you might take a look at the Albert Einstein Memorial near the Viet Nam Memorial and a wonderful sculpture called "the awakening" on Haines POint just south of the Jefferson Monument. Both these places are on the list of what to see when you think you've seen it all. both are outside and free.
I lived in Washington for four years and took visitors to both of these places many times.

Originally Posted by oatw13
How fun!

I think the best things I saw in D.C. were the Smithsonian, the Holocaust Museum and the Mall, with all the memorials, Lincoln, Washington, Korea, Vietnam. Oh, then there is the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, and Arlington! If you want to see the US Capitol, you need to book a tour in advance - either online or through your congressmen.

There is so much to see and do! You will want to go back just to see the rest of it!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Ford's Theater and the House where Lincoln died across the street, the White House (you have to arrange tickets way in advance). Mount Vernon is about 30 minutes outside of DC but worth the trip.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Since you are all family, I just HAVE to share this!!! My dear SIL has invited me to go to Washington DC with her! YAY... My DH won't get on a plane and won't drive in the east...so this is a dream I didn't think I'd ever get to do. After a day or two of touring the capital (I know, not enough time) we're going to rent a car and go tour Lancaster!!! Then we'll hop a plane and go to Atlanta and search out my ancesterial homes...maybe even get to see a relative or two!

I'm so excited about it -- I didn't even buy fabric when in town today -- gotta save $$$! So, everyone, what should I plan on seeing while there??? Special fabric stores???
:D
Oh Wow! So many in the Lancaster and surrounding areas. Let me know when you plan your trip. I think I could force myself to drive 2-1/2 hours to Lancaster to meet you and of course hit the quilt shops.

:thumbup: