Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you "green"???  I'm confused >

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM

I don't have much respect for "green". "Green" products are usually more expensive...for what? A more natural product that takes less processing? (i.e., costs less to produce)

I'm all for saving the planet...after all, I live here too...but I'm also all for saving the planet using simple common sense. Something that seems to be seriously lacking in our world today.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

LOL, I cant afford to be "green", but then again, I cant afford to be wasteful either!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM

My husband and I bought a house 3 years ago. I wish I didn't have a conscience and/or was fabulously wealthy. I hate the refridgerator! It is a big side-by-side. It is awkward, doesn't fit very much and the freezer holds about 1/2 what it should hold. I had a bottom freezer fridge that I loved very much before we moved here, and I want it back!

We did go against the tide when we bought, though. We 'downsized' from a 2,000 square foot home with a 2 car garage to a 2,300 square foot home with 5 garages! (Beleive me when I say that was NOT my plan!) My husband is a collector of radios, 45 record players, and Lord only knows what else, so when we saw this house his eyes almost popped out of his head! Three of the garages are in a separate building, but it is heated and air conditioned and has its own bathroom. The house is mine and that 3 car garage is his!

It turns out that we really use the space - lots of company in the summer, and now I've got fabric all over the place.

I do wish that the ceilings weren't so high as it is costly to heat and cool so much space for nothing.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Going Green is it really saving or is it just the latest THING? I know we sure can't run out buy all new appliances, just to be 'politically correct'.

Donnajean: be cautious about Best Buy, their prices here are not the best in the area. Also, I have been a Maytaqg user for many years when I needed to replace washer/dryer my local appliance friend recommend not to stay with Maytag.They just don't hold up like they used to. He is the Maytag dealer.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Replacing appliances for the sake of getting a different color or style certainly isn't green. And if an appliance is working, is it really green to toss it in a landfill? Those landfills are filling up and coming soon to a neighborhood near you! Hope you get my humor!

But I bet each and every one of us is conscious of wastefulness and excess even if you say you're not "green." It's just how everyone rolls these days. It's a good and responsible thing. Smart steps toward a better planet. It doesn't take anyone going to extremes. Common sense is always in fashion.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 PM

I cannot say that I am Green, but I have always been careful about not wasting. I love to save a buck as often as I can. However I will not replace things just for the heck of it. Nope, not until they need to be replaced. I just use my head about stuff.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I use 1-2 rolls of paper towels a month... is this worse than the extra laundry: electricity, soap, hot water, cold water I would use to wash and dry a 1/2 load of cleaning rags each month?

I know paper towels go to the landfill... but when I had a compost pile I would throw most of them out there and they composted pretty quickly.

I also would run most all of my recylclable paper through the shredder and put it out there too instead of in the trash... but what about the electricity I used to do this? And what environmental harm is there in producing these shredders? What harm are they causing when they hit the landfills?

Some natural products are poison too... Chrysanthemums are processed and used as pesticides... can't get much more natural than that... so I wonder how good some of the "green" products really are for the environment? Will they find a long term effect from the heavy use of some of the components of these green products?

I don't buy a lot of meat anymore... but I do wish they could come up with something other than styrofoam for the packaging... Would it be better to use a heavier plastic to wrap the meat in? Or would that be almost as bad as the styrofoam? So confusing....

It gets confusing over what is better for the environment...

I am not knocking going green, or the use of "green" products... I am just thinking that if we don't over use disposables, or any cleaning products, use common sense when running appliances and electronics, and recycle when it is feasible, we will be making a difference :D:D:D
Old 09-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Only thing green in my house is my plants..lol

We had a heat pump installed, a big difference on our heating and cooling bill. It also helps that our house has 6" of insulation on the exterior walls as well as the floor and ceiling.

My new washer and dryer are alot more energy efficient also. We run a fan on exhaust in the study to pull out the heat from the computers. That way we don't have to run the AC all the time to keep one room cool and the rest of the house freezing.
That's a good idea about venting the computer room!!! DANG! I hadn't thought of turning the fan OUT of the sewing/computer room! shoot -- beat me over the head!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I would not use green building supplies, I'm betting that won't last near as long as the old tried and true ones. We have a 1.6 gal. per flush toilet and believe me everything goes down with the first flush, we flush with every use and we use more than a single sheet. We save by not driving around for pleasure and not leaving home to go out to eat.
I've not met anyone that wasn't wasteful. Just usually in different areas than others. I use regular light bulbs, when I turn on a light I want to see. I've stock piled enough to last me for years. I don't waste food and know how to save on important things and not buy cheap things that won't last very long. I'm not green and never plan to be.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

Another gripe -- young people buying houses that are 3000+ square feet just because they have/are having babies. Then saying the white appliances have "GOT TO GO".....just to get the stainless steel kind

I just recently bought a new washer because my 32yr old machine finally died, and yes, we bought an energy saver. I will admit our water usage lower dramatically!
but.....everyone we know thinks we are NUTS because we didn't buy the matching dryer......WHY? there is nothing wrong with the old 32yr old one we have....still going strong!
Heaven forbid that someone would come to my house and see mis-matched appliances!! :roll: