Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you a diabetic or someone in your family?

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if any of the members here are diabetics?

My husband was a diabetic since 4th grade. In 1989 both kidneys shut down and was on home dialysis. On September 18, 1990 he got a new kidney and pancreas transplant and no longer a diabetic.

JJs
    Banned
    type 2, hypothyroid, fibro, and a few other odds and ends..

bkb
    My son is insulin dependent.since age 12 now 37 and on dialysis. Husband on pills. If I talk about the disease to much I will go off on a tangent. IMHO there should have been a cure for this years ago.

Blog Entries
    have you looked into your son getting a kidney and pancreas transplant? my hubby did in 1990 and no longer on dialysis and no longer a diabetic

Quote Originally Posted by bkb
    My son is insulin dependent.since age 12 now 37 and on dialysis. Husband on pills. If I talk about the disease to much I will go off on a tangent. IMHO there should have been a cure for this years ago.

DH has been diabetic for about 10 years. He figured pills would fix it, so didn't do much about his diet. Now he's on insulin and is suffering from neuropathy and other problems. Mostly he just feels awful all the time. But he's finally getting smarter about what he eats. Horrible disease--I agree, why haven't we cured this yet???

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    My husband is a Type-II Diabetic also. Takes insulin now, and at age 49 it frightens me to think he may end up on dialysis some day. It's a scary disease and yes, we need a cure. How does everyone else cope with this?

My husband is diabetic. Has been since early 80's. He has been insulin dependent since late 90's. He has always been very good about his diet. We use NO white sugar, and use splenda. When this happens it is a new way of life and you must adapt. He is doing very well, no complications related to the diabetes.
    It certainly takes alot of will power.

Blog Entries
    I am diabetic, have been since age 18. Started insulin in 1992. When they started the diabetic pills, my docs have insisted I take them, along with insulin. All I know is, since taking the pills (and I tried EVERY ONE) along with insulin, I have gained 100 pounds. While I was only on insulin, I took only 8 units a day. Now I take 140. I take metformin and hate it. It is awful to my digestive system. Actos created Congestive Heart Failure. Rezulin damaged my liver. Now I have Chronic Kidney Disease, Congestive Heart Failure, Fatty Liver Disease, and severe neuropathy. I also have Peripheral Vascular Disease and now a clotting disorder. I have Deep Vein Thrombosis. All of this is caused by diabetes and crazy blood sugars. This last November I survived 30 pulmonary embolisms and one saddle embolism (sudden death embolism). My right leg has been impaired by the blood clot: they can't find a pulse in my right foot without a doppler.

I was diagnosed diabetic at one time. I had problems with it a few times since. But haven't had any problems for several years. I stopped having problems when I stopped taking care of difficult kids in foster care/adoption. I do have kidney failure and am on dialysis. BUT NOT BECAUSE OF DIABETES. I lost one kidney to blood clotts in 1989, and one to an allergic reaction to antibiotics in 2006

My DH is Type II diabetic. He is very careful about what he eats. Takes two insulin injections per day. So far, other than occasional erratic readings, he is doing well at 69 yo.

I'm pre-diabetic. No meds. Just check my blood sugar once a day and watch the ol' diet. Should be exercising more...my bad. Also have low thyroid and am cancer free for almost 2 years!

I have type II plus loss of thirty percent of kidneys from IGA neropathy, which has been in remission for five years. Suddenly my proteins are rising again and BP - so am in the middle of sorting it out, more tests in three weeks. My sugars are not bad and diet controlled however the protein is a worry again. Funny that this topic was on here tonight because I was feeling a bit worried about it all and decided to look up the quilt talk tonight to relax and found all of you. Hullo!

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    I have type II plus loss of thirty percent of kidneys from IGA nephropathy, which has been in remission for five years. Suddenly my proteins are rising again and BP - so am in the middle of sorting it out, more tests in three weeks. My sugars are not bad and diet controlled however the protein is a worry again. Funny that this topic was on here tonight because I was feeling a bit worried about it all and decided to look up the quilt talk tonight to relax and found all of you. Hullo!
    Hope the tests have some good information for you. Gosh, when multiple things are going on it sure adds to the complexity.

Yes Type II Diabetes, diagnosed last October and I am not happy about it. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMo
    Yes Type II Diabetes, diagnosed last October and I am not happy about it. :cry:
    Exactly the same for me. Am so thankful I'm not on meds yet.

I truly believe that they won't ever find a "cure" for all these diseases, because then all their money dries up. It shouldn't be this way.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am a pre diabetic. I follow the same type diet as a diabetic but may never turn into a full blown diabetic, I hope I dont. Really watching my carb intake. Some days are easy other days are hard. Summer is easy with all the fresh veggies.
    my grndson has been diabetic since age of 2.

One Day at a Time.

Blog Entries
    I have type 2 diabetes. I take glimperide (sp?) and metformin. I also have asthma, hypothyroidism and lupus. I developed diabetes after having gestational diabetes with my second DD.

I have a nephew who has been diabetic since he was 12.His Mom asked the Dr. about a transplant, and they said he couldnt?! I wonder why? I will ask her today, why he couldnt get one. He is 18 now, very hard for him, because he wants to eat junk food like the other teen age guys...

Blog Entries
    My hubby has Type 2, for many years now. He won't follow any diet at all! Pills have kept things in an even range until last month, then the numbers shot way up. Another new pill, and that has made him nauseated and dizzy for two weeks now. Because of getting scared, he has stopped all sweets, but I'm worried. He has neuropathy in his feet, has had for several years. His doctor doesn"T even have him checking his blood sugar everyday, and I don't understand that at all. The family all seem to think I can make him do things, but I CAN'T!! He only does what he wants, and I feel they think I don"t care. He has gained so much weight, sit'S in his chair and sleeps most all day. He is going for a stress test today ,after all the kids jumped his case all summer, then his sisters came to visit in July and they did too. I'm worried what that will show, I really think there is a problem with his heart, and he is so stubborn, I don't know if he would have surgery if needed. This is the same husband who was scared to death I would die this winter and insisted I do everything I was told. Doesn't he realize how much I need and want him to be well?!! I'll try to make him eat right, but I am very confused about the proper diet for him, afraid I won't get it right!

clem55-there's nothing you can do. Your husband has to decide to do it for himself. I have a son that's diabetic, he doesn't watch what he eats, doesn't exercise, nothing. We've told him numerous times that diabetes isn't a disease to mess around with, but it obviously hasn't sunk in yet.

But, I would seriously consider changing doctors if this one doesn't even have your husband check his sugar, that's insane.

Type II for about 15 years. Sad to say, I've never dealt well with it. Having lost major weight on three ocassions in hope of not getting diabetes, deep down I feel totally defeated. I'll keep trying.

My husband was a type 1 diabetic - diagnosed at 15 - he died at 41 of a major heart attack, but the diabetes was the cause as far as I am concerned. That was 24 years ago and they are no closer to a cure now. He was never overweight - 6" tall and weighed 150 when he died!! I have type 2 now and after reading puplemem's post, I am scared as I take some of the same pills she does/did and don't like what they have done to her. I have pretty good control, but cheat more than I should!! And I do need to lose weight! Not fun.

I've noticed an awfully lot of type II diabetics using artifical sweeteners but still eating loads and loads of starches. Starches are actually far worse for you than a little sugar. And you're 30% more likely to be obese eating artifical sweeteners than you are just eating sugar.

One of the all time worst things for a diabetic is french fries. But I know lots and lots of diabetics that'll order a "diet" drink because they're diabetic but order the large fries.

I am diabetic and have sugar in moderation and really watch the starches, potatoes, corn, peas, rice and wheat. I do not use any artificial sweetener of any kind and still have an A1c below 6.5. When I was diagnosed my fasting blood sugars were above 250 and I had an A1c above 9.

My husband is type 2, controlled with diet and medication. He wouldn't need the medication but he can't stick to that strict a diet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast