Are you older than dirt???

Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM

I got 9 but my kids think I'm older than dirt!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Ugh, I guess I'm older than I thought because at age 44, I remembered 8 of the items on the list from personal experience. :-(
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM

You forgot the strange looking Skate Key, that locked roller skates to the sole of your shoe.

Old washing machines with a roller that snapped buttons across the room..and was very bad on human fingers.

Sad irons, you sat one on the wood stove and ran another one over a wet cloth to get the smoke dust off it and ironed as fast as you could till it got too cold to press out the wrinkles. Then it went back on the stove, you took the handle out of it and stuck it into the next iron and repeated this. You ironed EVERYTHING from ankle socks to sheets and pillow cases. Everything.

15 cent movie tickets. 10 cent sodas. "Lite" bread from the store, a real delicacy. Waiting till Grandma used all 3 of your names before running home, that meant one more call for you and you'd be met with a switch at the door!!!

Priming the cow tail pump in the kitchen so it'd save you from having to go out and draw up water from the well.

Lovely cars with a tiny seat behind called "Rumble Seats". All cars could be heard for some distance away because all of them sounded like they used shot guns inside the motors, and the horns all went "OOOOGA OOOOGA" which added to the POP POP POP BANG as they went their merry way.

Gas stations where you drove over a bell hose, a uniformed attendant hurtled through the door and asked what he could do for you. He would put in gas, check your oil and water, give you change and a small gift of a glass or dish or a toy, and wish you a good trip and please come back again. And for good measure he'd even wash your car windows, front, sides and back if you were a regular. And in small towns he'd tell you that his mom said to tell your mom she'd see her at the next church meeting!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Skate keys! I had several of those.
How about your parents giving you a dime (or a quarter, I really can't remember how much it cost) and you, as a 8 or 9 yr old, walking to the store to buy cigarettes for them? I did that several times a week.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Gas stations where you drove over a bell hose, a uniformed attendant hurtled through the door and asked what he could do for you. He would put in gas, check your oil and water, give you change and a small gift of a glass or dish or a toy, and wish you a good trip and please come back again. And for good measure he'd even wash your car windows, front, sides and back if you were a regular. And in small towns he'd tell you that his mom said to tell your mom she'd see her at the next church meeting!!

Oh yes and is you were stupid like me would tell you mom that you had a spare key made for the car!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM

I remember all of the things that mythreesuns and all the others said, too, except the iron on the wood stove. We aleays had an electric iron, but I do remember they did not have steam, hence the sprinkler. Brings back a lot of fond memories. How about movie star pictures on Dixie Cup tops (ice cream cups), penny candy (sometimes, even 2 for a penny), large C-9 lightbulbs and bubble lights on the Christmas tree, reel to reel tape players - oh, my, the list goes on and on. LOL
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM

I remember them all!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM

All except the Studebaker.

I have dust for friends,lol
Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm really old!!!
Curling irons you heat on a gas burner.

Cotton rags to curl your hair with.

Going the the beauty shop looking up to see these octopus tentacles hanging from the ceiling for curling your hair.

Going to the department store for the once a yr white sale.

Wooden floors in the dept stores

I loved the candy cherries on the wires at christmas time.We would hang them on the tree branches.One yr the dog found the candy and we found our tree on the floor.

Early 50's aluminium christmas tree with rotating lights. Just about started the house on fire.

First time flocked trees were popular. My dad and cousin decided to flock their trees in the garage with a vacuum cleaner attachment. What a mess.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM

whats scary is I got 3, makes me feel old. My daughter will not know any of these things, just google kids guessing the use of old technologies and you will be amazed at what they come up with so things that are less than 20years old