Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Your opinion of Direct tv, please? >

Your opinion of Direct tv, please?

Your opinion of Direct tv, please?

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 AM

This is so overwhelmingly negative, we won't be making any changes. Thank you all for saving us frustration, money and sanity. I knew I could count on my friends here for honesty. Have a creative day!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

JustabitCrazy- we have Direct TV with that dish. I hate it. Very fussy when the weather is bad. My big complaint though, is all the cable companies charging way too much. We watch almost nothing on cable except the news. I would get rid of it but my husband wouldn't be happy w/o the news. We watch Netflix, Prime, and MLB so we are paying a fortune when you add it all up. Yuck.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 AM

I had Direct TV once and swore I would never have satellite TV again. Every time the weather was bad it went out. We finally switched to Roku after years with cable tv. It's cheaper than cable but I don't like it as well. I liked the price for cable even less.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 AM

We stream our TV through the Internet. I highly advise this solution if you have high speed internet. We don't have cable or any other provider to hold us hostage with rate increases etc. It's been a great change and we'll never go back.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM

I had a billing experience with Direct TV. After hours spent with customer service for months, they still didn't get it right. I paid the penalty (less than $700, but still a lot) and got Cox. Cox is slower; their guide isn't as good, but TV service is more reliable than Direct and customer service is excellent.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 AM

I switched over to Dish.....Dish also goes out at times due to bad weather but not as much as directv...I can record two shows at a time and hv dish on four tvs....also directv starts out with a lower price, then gets more expensive than dish.....
Old 01-19-2019, 11:49 AM

My DD had it and hated it and got something else. I have several neighbors that got it and hated it so much that they have taken down the dishes. We have AT@T U Verse for years and love it. We bundle TV and Internet.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM

My DD has it and likes it because it saved her $70.00 a month over COX. No weather problems but she lives is a city just east of San Diego. She doesn't care for the size of the dish they installed on her deck (almost twice the size of her neighbor's).
My friend ordered it when she went to the San Diego County Fair - they had a "Fair" special. But they did not honor it when the first bill came. She had a written contract and they still didn't honor it. So be aware there can be pitfalls.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Years ago we had Direct. We went with the cable company here. Their internet is great. Otherwise I would have to have satelite, very bad. They are getting the price up to 200.00 a month for expanded basic and basic on two other TVs. For the internet I will just have to pay it.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:46 PM

We, at one time, considered going to Direct, instead of the Comcast we had. When we tried to find out what it would cost a month, we kept getting told, by many different sellers and providers, that they could not tell us until it was hooked up to see what it would cost. Uh, NO! We finally gave up, got rid of Comcast for everything but internet, spent $50 to get and indoor/outdoor antenna to put on the house, and pay for Netflix too. We have 14 channels to choose from, and no more crazy cable bills.

BTW- Did you know that the FCC requires all broadcasters to allow a free signal? We did not either, until a friend told us. We have also roku stick to amplify the signal ($39). Now there is always something to watch, and we do not miss cable.

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-19-2019 at 05:49 PM.