Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello new to hobby >

Hello new to hobby

Hello new to hobby

Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Default Hello new to hobby

Hello everyone. I am here to learn about quilting. Also, is there a place on here to commission a quilt from another user? Thanks
Old 09-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Minnesota!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:09 PM

Welcome from sunny and gorgeous Southern California! This is a great place to learn about quilting. Just ask questions when you need help or would like information. The QB only has wonderful and generous people on it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I saw an awesome Halloween quilt here, it had a bat, vampire teeth and s black cat. I think it was a recent post. I wish I knew who made it. I’d love one just like it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM

welcome from ky.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:51 PM

Welcome form Southern Indiana. I'm not sure where you would post to commission a quilt, but there are lots of quilters that belong to the board that do work for others. When you have become more familiar with the board, I'm sure you will find the right place.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Most non quilters have no idea of the cost of making a quilt. Just the material for the front and backing (most fabric in the US is $5-$10 a yard) can be close to $100 and $30 for a quilt batt. That is not counting the time at a reasonable rate, to make it. You do not mention where you are posting from so there would be shipping cost as well.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone for getting back. I worked at a fabric store for a long time so I know fabric can be expensive. I’ve accumulated a lot from customers cuttings. My sister does knit and crochet and she sells her stuff now and then. It always makes her laugh when people request a wool hat, scarf and gloves set for like $20.00. They never factor the time she needs for complex designs and just simple ones can take awhile to complete. I myself make polymer clay sculptures, I undercut myself for years because I was trying to be nice to people. I wouldn’t have an issue with the price as I understand the work involved. I will hang out with you guys and learn as much as I can, perhaps I can find someone to make a a quilt. I’d love to try a beginner project.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. There are so many knowledgeable people here that can walk you through just about any question you might have in constructing a quilt. Tartan pretty much laid out some of the basics on cost and construction. It sounds like you already have a fairly good idea on the cost involved and the profit margins. Just keep the questions coming. I look forward to seeing a lot of you here. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!