Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello & Question from Grandma Moonchild >

Hello & Question from Grandma Moonchild

Hello & Question from Grandma Moonchild

Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM

I am a mother of two daughters and grandma of 3 handsome boys. I have sewed to make clothing and most especially costuming for the past 37 years. I remember my mama quilting on a big old wooden thing that took up the whole living room and she made beautiful (necessary) quilts for us. [I have this wooden thing in my garage but it is missing all the c clamps and one leg thingy.] Mama passed and I want to take all her polyester pants and turn them into a special quilt for each of her 4 grandchildren. Now heres the problem... I watched mama quilt, but never did any. I dont have room to set up that wooden thing and I was thinking I would make a bunch of 12.5 squares that were a sandwich of backing, batting, and the pieced square design which I would machine quilt; then join the quilted squares into strips binding the joints on the back with a decorative fabric which would make a block design on the back of the finished quilt. I have been avidly reading books, this site, all sorts of things, and formulating my "strategy" in my mind; but making the first cut has just left me with fear that I will mess up and waste my materials. I had just about got up the nerve to start cutting, when I read that I need to have a 3 inch bigger backing and batting if I am gonna machine quilt.... now I assume that 3 inches is for a full quilt, but wonder how much if any extra I would need if the pieced block is 12.5 to sew up to 12. Any help, comments, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Welcome to the Board Grandma Moonchild! (What a great name!) :wink:
If you are going to "quilt as you go" on each 12.5" square, I would probably just cut the batting not more than 13" square, probably less even. Unless you're planning to do some really major quilting on each block, that should be plenty.
I think those grandkids are so lucky to be getting such a great memory quilt! :D
Good luck!

sue
Old 03-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Hi and Welcome Grandma Moonchild,
Haven't done the quilt as you go but thinking on it as there's so many that do it. Hope you enjoy it!

Sharon
Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Now I feel better about starting the cutting.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Welcome!

Hey, every beginning quilter gets at least a little scared about making that first cut into fabric. I sure was when making my first quilt. So you're not alone.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 AM

That first step is alway a doosie!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:57 PM
PJ

Welcome Moonchild,
There was a quilt as you go web site that was on another post. I'll see if I can find it and post it. It was very detailed and had lots of info.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 PM
PJ

One of the websites that another member just e-mailed me is a quilt as you go hhttp://www.secretsof.com/content/194. I hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks, that info was definitely very helpful.