New Quilter

Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 PM

Smile New Quilter

Hi All! I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and new to quilting and sewing. I had always wanted to try quilting but it seemed very intimidating to me, but recently I came across a beginner You Tube series from Melanie Ham. I gave it a go, and surprise, I made a quilt!

I joined the Quilting Board to learn more about this craft, and art. I've been struggling with the usual beginner issues. Most recently I've been trying to figure out how to sew an accurate diagonal seam for some stitch and fold pieces for a table runner. It's driving me batty, but I shall persevere.

I look forward to browsing the message boards and seeing what tips and tricks I can learn and to being inspired.

Cheers!
Beth
Old 10-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Hi Snarfff and welcome from Southern California! You'll find what you're looking for here and on YouTube -- great information and friendly, helpful people. Taking a class at a quilt shop could be helpful to you, too. And you're so lucky to have all the fabric shops up there!
Old 10-20-2022, 05:13 AM

Welcome from the mitten state. This is such a kind and friendly place to learn. Ask questions, post photos of your accomplishments or where you found a difficulty. There are so many good "teachers" here willing to give advise to keep you sewing and quilting.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:18 AM

Welcome from West Virginia! This is a great place for information and inspiration! And we love pictures of quilts and other projects.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:31 AM

Welcome from Ohio! You’ll find a wealth of information and lots of helpful Quilters here. For stitch and fold technique I highly suggest the folded corner clipper. While not essential, I find that the right tools make be a better quilter, and this particular ruler has many uses unlike some.

https://youtu.be/cpSZ6lqvc34
Old 10-21-2022, 04:50 AM

Nice to meet you! I, too, feel lucky to have stumbled onto this friendly community. So full of knowledge, positivity, and encouragement.

-Autumn
Old 10-21-2022, 03:39 PM

Welcome from Round Rock (Central) Texas. Lots of information here and lots of helpful kind people here!! Your crafty journey will be so informative!! I joined several years ago. I joined a few swaps just to gain some confidence. Everyone is so wonderful!!!

Monique
Old 10-21-2022, 04:10 PM

Hello and welcome. I am new to this site and am also born and raised in the Bay Area (Alameda and Dublin) but have lived in Kentucky since 2005. There seams (pun intended) to be some very helpful folks here. I hope you can figure out the diagonal seam thing. I am not sure exactly what you're doing but I have seen people use a tape in their machine that has 3 stripes on it and they follow the middle line to help keep diagonal seams straighter. I'm not 100% sure that's what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there for you.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:21 AM

Welcome from Arizona
Old 10-27-2022, 03:34 PM

Welcome to the quilting world from NE Ohio.