Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   3 quilt tops done, afraid to the start quilting process (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/3-quilt-tops-done-afraid-start-quilting-process-t117788.html)

valsma 04-21-2011 12:31 PM

I know sounds funny. The sewing and peicing don't bother me, especially since I started with simple design. Now I have one twin size and two baby quilts waiting to be quilted, but i'm afraid to put needle to quilt. I've bought the books have a machine that will allow me to machine quilt, have done some practicing, but I have no confidence in how to mark and sew the quilt. I put so much work into the tops, i'm afraid that I will mess them up and then all that work down the drain.
Any suggestions on how to get me out of my way so I can do some quilting on these tops? Thanks for any suggestions.
Tammy

ann clare 04-21-2011 12:41 PM

Welcome from Ireland

RatherB Quilting 04-21-2011 12:43 PM

Practice on some scrap sandwiches! You'll be quilting those beauties in no time!!
:)

erstan947 04-21-2011 12:45 PM

Welcome from Louisiana!:) I'm just learning to machine quilt too. The first few I have done I have done a grid or stitch in the ditch. Start with the smallest and take your time. I have found once the quilt is washed many errors are not noticed. Just have FUN!!

katsewnsew 04-21-2011 12:45 PM

Just practice a bit before you start, then just go for it! You will surprise yourself! Oh, Hello and Welcome from Arizona!!!

Tussymussy 04-21-2011 12:45 PM

Welcome from England.

That is good advice - practice and practice until you feel good about it.

bjnicholson 04-21-2011 12:46 PM

Welcome from Ohio! I feel your angst!

gunny148 04-21-2011 12:47 PM

Welcome from South Carolina, Practice on some scrap sandwitch pieces

dsb38327 04-21-2011 12:49 PM

Do you have someone near that can hold your hand as you step trough the process? Some LQS might help. Church friends? Family?
You asked: "Any suggestions on how to get me out of my way so I can do some quilting on these tops? Thanks for any suggestions."
My suggestion: Do you have 2 old sheets that you could live without? Pretend one is the top of your quilt, pretend the other is your backing. Draw squares with a marker on the top sheet. (I wouldn't waste batting to just practice so skip the batting.) Follow the steps of creating your sandwich. Pin Top to back just as if it were your quilt. Take it to the machine when you are ready and quilt it like you are going to quilt your real quilt. When you get tired of practicing just put it to the side and start on your real quilt.
I stitch in the ditch on a domestic machine. I make mistakes, learn by trial and error and finish most of the time very happy with my quilt. On my Bargello I went back over my stitch in the ditch with a decorative stitch and everyone loves it.
I would suggest doing the baby quilts first. Good luck.
We have many members in Oregon. Maybe there is a QB member near you that can coach you. ?. Welcome to the Quiltingboard. PM me if I can be of any help. My skill level is beginner plus.

amma 04-21-2011 12:56 PM

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

Maybe make one more quilt top, a practice one. We all have made our first quilt, and mine had a few oops, but is still loved anyway :D

A busy, multi colored backing that matches the color thread you are using, can help cover up a few boo boos too :D:D:D