Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   beginning and ending stitches in quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/beginning-ending-stitches-quilting-t12922.html)

PBS 11-05-2008 09:36 AM

Hi all you terrific quilters! I just started quilting about a year ago and I thought it was time I started on a "project". I'm making a twin size throw for my daughter and I'm having trouble with my beginning and ending stitches. They're unraveling! I find myself doing a back stitch and I know you're not suppose to do that. I start my stitching by bring up the bottom thread to the front. And I'm not really sure how to end the stitching. What am I doing wrong?!

jstitch 11-05-2008 09:46 AM

You might try making your stitches smaller...and chain stitch them , so you arent really starting new with each piece.

I start my piecing by using a small scrap to start on, then chain stitch the next one.. and I end by chain stitching onto another little scrap.. then cut them apart.

PBS 11-05-2008 10:21 AM

Judy, I'm all done with the piecing of the top. I'm doing the actual quilting now and that's what I'm having trouble with. I do that chain stitching and I absolutely love it! I don't have any more problems and it goes so much faster!

jstitch 11-05-2008 10:39 AM

Oh, Sorry, I tried to determine from your post where you were in the process...

So you are machine quilting and wondering about starting and stopping?
First, I dont bring the bobbin thread to the top,,,

There are a couple of techniques that I have seen..
1. when you start, shorten your stitch length to a very very small, almost no length for a couple of stitches,, and the same when you end...

2.. This is what I do, my machine has a start and stop stitch, but this is what it does...Stitch in place for a couple of stitches, then change to your quilting stitch length, at the end, stop and stitch in place a few stitches.

Now, I am assuming that you are stitching on your sewing machine, and not a long arm...If you are using a long arm,, I am not the one to help you... but if you make that clear, we have several professional long arm quilters that Im sure will help you..

Hope this helps...

Jim's Gem 11-05-2008 10:44 AM

Looks like Judy is helping you out. Just wanted to say Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

PBS 11-05-2008 11:02 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Judy!!!!!!! It works! God Bless You! Thanks for taking the time to help me!

PBS 11-05-2008 11:03 AM

Thanks, Gayle, for the California welcome!

mary quite contrary 11-05-2008 11:04 AM

Glad you were able to get the help you needed.

Welcome from Dallas, Texas.

We'd love to see a picture.

PBS 11-05-2008 11:53 AM

Thanks, Dallas! If I can figure out how to do that, I'd love to send y'all a picture!

zyxquilts 11-05-2008 12:01 PM

Welcome to the Board PBS, from SoCal! Sounds like Judy got you squared away for your stitches! I had that problem myself, before I learned about the tiny stitches for beginning & ending.
For posting pictures, if you look in the pictures section from the home page, it will tell you how to post them. :D