Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Charging someone for finishing a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/charging-someone-finishing-quilt-t121688.html)

carlenedd 05-08-2011 08:04 AM

Hi, I'm Carlene from Columbus OH. I was recently approached by the son of an older woman (96) who has passed. He found two quilt tops unfinished and inquired if I would be interested in finishing the quilts for him. I haven't seen the quilt tops, so I'm not sure of the size. What would be the charge to complete these quilts? I prefer to complete my quilts with handquilting. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks,

mimom 05-08-2011 08:46 AM

if I were to hand quilt for a fee, it would be 10-15 dollars per hour plus materials

gaigai 05-08-2011 08:56 AM

You need to look at the tops before you make any commitments. They may not be "fixable" without totally remaking them, and maybe not even then. Then, try to figure out how many hours it would take you to do one. Be GENEROUS, not conservative. Figure up the cost of supplies, such as thread, backing, batting, etc. Then decide on a per-hour cost and do the math. And remember, your skill is worth much more than minimum wage, so the $10-15 and hour seems reasonable to me. Good luck.

Jan in VA 05-08-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mimom
if I were to hand quilt for a fee, it would be 10-15 dollars per hour plus materials

This is absolutely what it would be worth, but probably more than he would pay as you could possibly spend 75-100 hours on the task. So, the trick to figuring out what to charge would be to decide your personal stake inthis project.
Is the quilter someone you knew well?
Do you know the son well? How much "love" factor is there in your taking it on?
What kind of work is involved....sewing some of the blocks together? Sewing the blocks into rows? Assembling the top, adding a border? Just doing the quilting...by hand or machine? Adding the binding?

In my opinion, this is one of those questions you answer *with* a question...."What is it worth to you? What did it mean to you before you decided to finish it? Why do you want it finished? How are you going to use it/display it? Have you ever watched your mother work on her quilts/do you know how much is involved? What is the maximum you had in mind to pay someone you don't know to work on this?

I've done a few quilts like this and charge differently every time, depending on the answers and my attachment to the quilt, the quilter, the heirs.

Good luck to you as you find your own way to the answer.

Jan in VA

gaigai 05-08-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by mimom

This is absolutely what it would be worth, but probably more than he would pay. So, the trick to figuring out what to charge would be to decide your personal stake inthis project.
Is the quilter someone you knew well?
Do you know the son well? How much "love" factor is there in your taking it on?
What kind of work is involved....sewing some of the blocks together? Sewing the blocks into rows? Assembling the top, adding a border? Just doing the quilting...by hand or machine? Adding the binding?

In my opinion, this is one of those questions you answer *with* a question...."What is it worth to you? What did it mean to you before you decided to finish it? Why do you want it finished? How are you going to use it/display it? Have you ever watched your mother work on her quilts/do you know how much is involved? What is the maximum you had in mind to pay someone you don't know to work on this?

I've done a few quilts like this and charge differently every time, depending on the answers and my attachment to the quilt, the quilter, the heirs.

Good luck to you as you find your own way to the answer.

Jan in VA

Great answer Jan!!!!!

Sadiemae 05-08-2011 09:53 AM

Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

noahscats7 05-08-2011 10:04 AM

If you do any machine quilting, now would be the time to do it. It would be easier on you by not tying up so much of your time and easier on his wallet. It would also make it much easier to price. Glenda

Jim's Gem 05-08-2011 11:44 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

ann clare 05-08-2011 12:08 PM

Welcome from Ireland

carlenedd 05-08-2011 07:26 PM

Thank you, everyone's suggestions and comments have been insightful and helps me decide whether or not to accept the project.