Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   EmilyH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/emilyh-t253090.html)

EmilyH 09-05-2014 07:03 AM

EmilyH

The first sewing machine I ever sewed on was my grandmother's 221 (featherweight) It was hard. It kept breaking. It had only one good feature. I could lift it. I was eight. My mother had it. She didn't sew, ..she didn't oil and she didn't grease. It went away when Mom died. I don't know where. In between the meantime,..husband developed an interest in quilting. (He also weaves and spins). And he wanted a machine to take back and forth between our two locations....He didn't like the 15-91 Singer stuck in the knee press that I had invested in. But the guy who said he sell him one also said he had 4 machines and he had to buy ALL of them...3 featherweights and a 15-91. But all had something wrong with them...and so he bought them...all. Unfortunately, he is not handy and I am.....so.... Anyway, I have to admit I love the things. And yes, give me an adjusters manual and a service manual and, well, I can usually figure it out. I am a potter and think three dimensionally....can even put together an IKEA big bed...with no parts left. It was 14 hours. big pieces, but well..I'm still married. I now have about 20 antique machines,including 4 treadles, what I really wanted but can't seem to operate even though I used a kick wheel for years. After I restored my 115, and a half hour of frustration, my husband jumped on and had it going smooth as glass in 5 minutes. What I most enjoy is taking the featherweights, and will now add my two 301s and a couple of 99ks to church or (in one case a quilting fare) and letting people play with them....especially kids. NO FEAR...if you jam it, I'll fix it. These things are just plain cool and, though I am still very much in a learning mode, I'll be glad to help out with techy questions where I can and would sure appreciate help from those who "been there, done that" before. Also, I admit that I'll be haunting your pages to find good gift prospects for husband..books, materials etc.

Tartan 09-05-2014 10:10 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. FEATHERWEIGHTS are sweet little machines when they are well maintained. There are some very knowledgable people in the Antique and Vintage section of QB.

Barb in Louisiana 09-05-2014 10:19 AM

Welcome from the USA - Deep South.

Thumbelina 09-05-2014 05:07 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio.

Gannyrosie 09-05-2014 05:18 PM

There is an Antique thread on this board, so I'm sure you'll meet lots of new friends. I have my DMNL's old Singer and she still runs and purr's. I do oil it and grease it, but I really don't use it much even though I know I should. Welcome from Louisiana, hope this place gives you lots of inspiration and help.

Boston1954 09-05-2014 05:53 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Janet L52 09-05-2014 06:59 PM

Hello and welcome from northern California!

Mariposa 09-05-2014 07:15 PM

Hello and welcome! Have fun with your machines! :)

QuiltMom2 09-06-2014 03:35 AM

Welcome to QB from Baltimore, Maryland. It's funny how family machines just vanish - no one is quite sure where it went but it sounds like you've got an affinity for finding old ( excuse me. "vintage!") machines.

Abby'smom 09-06-2014 04:57 AM

:) welcome from se TX