Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   G'day from downunder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/gday-downunder-t41622.html)

Rainy Day 04-03-2010 03:57 PM

Hi folks,
I am new here and new to quilting. I am an accidental quilter - I sewed a lot of clothes when I was younger (before my kid) for my best friend, including her wedding dress and our bridesmaid dresses. I used to make repro vintage stuff in the 80s.
She was the quilter, as was her mother and sister. She had three boys, and I had sewed them lots of clothes over the years, which she was using to make a memory quilt - tiny squares, all hand sewn. All the boys had worn them, so they were each getting a piece of each shirt, jeans, anything cotton I had made, over the years.
In 2007, she lost her life to cancer. I inherited her stash, and the unfinished memory blocks.
I hate hand sewing, so I decided I would learn to quilt, to finish them off. Her sons can all sew, so we would be working on this together. We finished one quilt, for the oldest boy, now a young man on his way interstate to university.
Lots of effort, much tears and laughter. THEN, he says - I can't take this to Uni, it might get stolen, can we make another one.
So, I agreed to make it for him, using all new fabrics. I had to go to quilting school, and we agreed that I would have it finished for his birthday, on April 25. I'm getting there, but it is not a fancy pieced one - it is pretty basic. I am not good at deadlines, but I hope I can make this one.
I will post some photos when I work out how to do this.
Thanks for listening. :-)

redquilter 04-03-2010 04:12 PM

Welcome. I'm sorry you lost your friend. You are paying her a great tribute by making quilts for her son. I think the biggest fear a mother can have is who will look after her children if she were to die. Keep us posted as to your progress. I am sure your friend is at peace knowing you are there for her kids. Bless you.

littlehud 04-03-2010 04:28 PM

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. What a touching tribute to your friend. You are carrying on her legacy.

Pamela Artman 04-03-2010 04:32 PM

Hello and welcome from Michigan. What a wonderful thing to do for your friend's sons. Be sure and post some pictures!

raptureready 04-03-2010 04:43 PM

Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of quilting. I lost one of my best friends to cancer in November so I know what you're going through. How wonderful that your friendship can live on through fabric, quilts, and a willingness to do for her children.

estherblair 04-03-2010 04:47 PM

May God Bless you for your special love, i know your quilts will be beautiful, Welcome here with us just have fun

Maggie_Sue 04-03-2010 04:58 PM

You are a wonderful friend for doing this for her son. May you have many blessings for all of the love stitched in the quilts!

MamaBear61 04-03-2010 05:20 PM

Hello and welcome from Ontario, and yes be sure to post pictures, we LOVE pictures

cjomomma 04-03-2010 08:02 PM

Welcome from Wetsern Kentucky. You are doing a wonderful thing, bless you.

Jim's Gem 04-03-2010 08:09 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!