Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Good morning from Illinois! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/good-morning-illinois-t199805.html)

Justamom410 09-07-2012 07:37 AM

Good morning from Illinois!

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to quilting and sewing in general. I have a 3 year old daughter, who we consider our miracle child, and I started to become interested in quilting when I had to clean out all her old clothes from her closet. I did some research and found baby clothes quilts and really wanted to make one using our favorite outfits from her infancy. However, being a newbie, I didn't want to mess it up...so I'm practicing by making quilts for my pregnant friends.

I'm in the midst of my very first quilt. I used the precut squares from the store (will practice cutting later) and I've gotten all the squares sewn together. Not very straight, but not bad for my first go. I've added 2 borders and will just be starting basting and the actual quilting.

I borrowed my mom's old Brother machine...but it died on me. So my first question to you all is...what machine do you recommend for a brand new quilter? I want to keep it under $150 if possible.

Thanks all! :)

Amy

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-07-2012 07:45 AM

Welcome to the board from central Illinois. You will get zillions of machine ideas. Everyone has a favorite. I love my Brothers. I have a little cheapie from Walmart that I have pieced and quilted many quilts on.

Tartan 09-07-2012 07:59 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Try one of the inexpensive ones from Walmart after checking out their return policy. If you hate it, you can return it and start saving for another machine. Congratulations on piecing your first top, may it be the first step in a long quilting career.

Neesie 09-07-2012 08:01 AM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

Janet L52 09-07-2012 08:20 AM

Hi Amy, welcome from northern California!

crafty pat 09-07-2012 08:30 AM

Welcome from SC Texas. I bought my DD a project runway brother from Wal Mart to learn on and we both love it. Good luck on your quilting. You have come to the right place to learn from some wonderful, helpful quilters.

Lori S 09-07-2012 08:31 AM

Welcome from the Suburbs of Chicago. As far as a recomendation for a machine... get a good used machine! The older machines can out perform the new cheap ones any day. Check for a Sew and Vac in your area .. some will offer a limited warrenty. Look at garage sales and estate sales... do test drive. Check good Will you would be surprised what shows up . Older machine with all metal parts are so easy to clean and service yourself .
Once you have some more experience under your belt .. and know what you might like .. then make a bigger investment.

JeannieT 09-07-2012 08:47 AM

welcome from Minnesota!

Jammin' Jane 09-07-2012 09:55 AM

Hello Amy!
Welcome from Minnesota!
And a big welcome to the world of quilting!!! :)
Go to a sewing center and test drive some machines....they always have lots of used machines!
Have fun! :)

Abby'smom 09-07-2012 09:58 AM

:) welcome from se TX