Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Greeting from Michigan (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/greeting-michigan-t314189.html)

cvanderwier 02-08-2021 02:00 PM

Greeting from Michigan

Hello,
My name is Chip, and I am new to the board and newish to sewing. A couple of buddies and I started a sewing circle (the whiskey stitchers) with a shared machine, a Sailrite LSZ-1. We started sewing to repair sails, do canvas work and make cushions. I picked up a Singer 401a because I was interested in teaching myself free motion embroidery, and it is a beautiful machine. Along with being an educator, I am a sculptor, working primarily in welded steel in conjunction with carved wood and ceramics. This new endeavor promises all kinds of new creative problems to solve. I look forward to gleaning the expertise of the board when it comes to machine maintenance and adjustment. I thank you in advance for your support and shared knowledge.

Tartan 02-08-2021 02:15 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You can’t beat some of the vintage machines for reliability.

ckcowl 02-08-2021 06:06 PM

Welcome from Alanson, Michigan.
my son ( in Lexington, Ky ) started playing around with his sewing machine early this year when he lost his job due to the pandemic. He has had a blast creating original quilts and is now doing some really cool thread painting. I hope you enjoy the journey and try many things as you experiment. Lots of encouragement and inspiration around this board. :)

ctrysass2012 02-08-2021 07:47 PM

Welcome from Hudsonville MI with a detour in CO right now. I try to visit each year & get my fix. Lots of knowledge here.
Enjoy your new hobby.

Lori B. 02-09-2021 04:33 AM

Welcome from Oxford, Michigan!:)

luvstoquilt 02-09-2021 05:24 AM

welcome from Illinois. You have found the right spot for sure!

juliasb 02-09-2021 09:12 AM

Welcome to the QB from Waterford Michigan! There are so many people with so many different sewing skills here. I wouldn't be able to begin to sort through them all. There are a lot of people that can answer question or just help you along. There are a good number of guys on this board. Again welcome to the QB!

Chasing Hawk 02-09-2021 09:24 AM

Welcome from the forest of Central Oregon.

I was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan. My Sister, an Uncle and several cousins live in the Kalamazoo area.

cvanderwier 02-09-2021 12:32 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome! It seems that the Great Lakes Basin is well represented here. Being new to fiber arts is a mixed blessing, I'm still unaware of which rules I can break, which rules I can bend and which rules are necessary for appropriate craftsmanship. As of now I do not have much to offer, unless it's related to installing 800 lb. sculptures, steel patinas or non-traditional ceramic firing techniques. I love K-zoo, btw!

SallyS 02-09-2021 12:49 PM

Welcome from Southern California. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of your creativity.