Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Greetings from AZ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/greetings-az-t193964.html)

Jim9across 07-08-2012 06:42 AM

Greetings from AZ

Greetings from Arizona. I just joined this site this morning. I started quilting about 8 years ago mostly as a fluke (I'm a man), but I really liked it. I liken quilting to wood working with cloth. A sewing machine just makes less noise and dust than a table saw. I've made only 4 quilts, but that was mostly the first ~3 years. I like doing embroidery in quilting. There was a phase that it was hard to make the time for quilting, but I have more time again now and want to get back into it. My wife is also getting into quilting more and she has a background of a garment making, so she knows a lot about sewing.

We have a Designer I and are thinking of upgrading to a newer machine as we've been havings issues with it which is so frustrating and making me/us not want to use it. We looked at the newer Vikings (again...) and Bernina machines. Then I found info on Babylock and we went to look at those. Then I saw an add for Brother and went to look at the Quattro 2 and found the machine I want! A Janome 12000. Lol. That is well built machine.

Looking at message boards for machine reviews is helpful, but few people have multiple top of the line machines, so getting a good comparison can be difficult. Also, we all want what we get to be the right decision, so it's human nature to like it; especially when we spend the $$ the top machines cost.

Oh, I've also looked at servers which are fun. I made a bag several years ago in a class and it was great. A friend of my wife has a 2007 Evolve that she hardly ever used and offered to sell it for $800 - that is a great deal!

Any input on sewing machine brands would be helpful. We want something we can sew with and embroider (without needing to get out my old PC with a floppy drive). It's hard to justify the cost of the top machines, but it's also great tobe able to do things you couldn't do otherwise. Having a really good machine makes using it more enjoyable and I think it gets used a lot more.

Jim

Neesie 07-08-2012 08:03 AM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

I recently bought a Janome (7700) and love it. One great thing about Janome (aside from the excellent quality), is the availability and reasonable price of accessories.

QuiltnNan 07-08-2012 06:50 PM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

Lakeview Quilting 07-08-2012 07:10 PM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

suebee 07-08-2012 07:54 PM

Hi Jim !! Welcome from Mesa! glad you joined us.:)

Tippytoes 07-08-2012 10:44 PM

Morning from me in the UK, nice to meet you
Mx

Glewck 07-09-2012 01:27 AM

Hello from Texas. I can't offer any input on new machines. I am still happy with my '78 Kenmore. The price is sure right, but it doesn't do any automatic embroidery. Good luck in your machine search and let us know which you choose.

SueDor 07-09-2012 02:07 AM

Hi from Ohio!

gollytwo 07-09-2012 03:21 AM

Hi Jim - welcome from New Hampshire

MaryStoaks 07-09-2012 05:29 AM

Welcome from the California desert.:thumbup: