Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Greetings and "Sew"utations! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/greetings-sew-utations-t249187.html)

lovinlocks 06-28-2014 07:54 AM

Greetings and "Sew"utations!

Quilting newbie here, please call me "Lyric". Nurturing my joy of the D9P quilt pattern I stumbled upon this Forum thankfully. My fam hails from the southern portion of the USA where we are building a small family farm (did I say smaallll?).

One "interesting" point - we live off the electrical grid and after having purchased the sewing machine of my dreams (Viking Husqvarna) I married and had to come up with another way to sew. In comes an antique hand crank and treadle sewing machine.

Finally, diving into learning the craft, I went to a Sister in my congregation and asked her to teach me how to quilt. It was the fall of 2013. I told her I wanted to make a scrap quilt. Get this . . . the strips are still hanging in their places and I've made a couple quilted totes, and a Versatile Wave purse. I have YET to make an actual bed quilt, LOL. I am kinda glad I did not immediately put together the strips because after we cut them out I began reading everything I could get my hands on about quilting and I discovered the Courthouse Steps quilt. Consequently, my "first" bed quilt with be of that style (I will rename it though) with red centers. Uw, I'm so excited.

Tartan 06-28-2014 08:39 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I have a Singer treadle that I still use. I do like my electric sewing machines though. Do you have any electricity? I would find it hard to live without refrigeration, computer and right now...air conditioning!

Angel Bear 06-28-2014 10:55 AM

Welcome from OHIO! I, too, am curious about "off the electric grid" which I thought meant "without electricity" but if that is the case, how do you access the internet? I could live without tv very easily, but not without electricity.

lovinlocks 06-28-2014 11:21 AM

Waving heartily. I love, love Ontario though I have not been in years. As a young woman when I first visited there I returned to the states heck bent on relocating, LOL. How naive of me. I had never seen so many white men with black women, open, no shame, WOW; even until this day, as I did there. Wonder if it's still like that? Yet, I digress . . .

No, no electricity. I hope, I hope, one day to be able to afford wind turbine and solar panels.

Reading your words I had to laugh to self because I'm with you sister, now add to that no air conditioning. :shock: Not even a fan by gum by golly.

I have yet to sew on my treadle.
Sew I lean toward my hand crank:

Wish I had gotten a later model antique (lol) treadle; i.e., early 1900's.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6777715)
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I have a Singer treadle that I still use. I do like my electric sewing machines though. Do you have any electricity? I would find it hard to live without refrigeration, computer and right now...air conditioning!

lovinlocks 06-28-2014 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Angel Bear (Post 6777880)
Welcome from OHIO! I, too, am curious about "off the electric grid" which I thought meant "without electricity" but if that is the case, how do you access the internet? I could live without tv very easily, but not without electricity.

Yes, you are correct. Via wi-fi. Thank you for the welcome. I'll be here (Ohio) for some weeks. Welcoming my new granddaughter (and honey enjoying the air-conditioning, I ain't gonna lie). Giggles.

Cheers,

Lyric

QuiltnNan 06-28-2014 01:30 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

M.Elizabeth 06-28-2014 02:56 PM

Welcome from beautiful western NC. I enjoy my electricity too much to live "off grid" if that means maybe solar power or something else!

JenniePenny 06-29-2014 01:39 AM

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new granddaughter!

lovinlocks 06-29-2014 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 6778580)
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new granddaughter!

Thank you, Ms. JenniePenny. My, aren't we the early birds? :)

JenniePenny 06-29-2014 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by lovinlocks (Post 6778581)
Thank you, Ms. JenniePenny. My, aren't we the early birds? :)

Oh yes indeed. I have always been that way.