Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   A guy in NW Arkansas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/guy-nw-arkansas-t305793.html)

73mmhearse 07-16-2019 12:15 AM

A guy in NW Arkansas

I’m slowly learning to sew beyond the simple patch job. Right now I’m mostly into collecting machines and bringing them back to useable condition. I love the complexity of the mechanics of the old machines. Frankly I find a lot of them sexy, like guys think of the curves on old cars. Lol in the past 3 months or so I have inherited 2 of my grandmothers singers. A 758 touch n sew (massive headache) and 9410. And have been given a Universal (singer clone) a white model 77, a severely gummed up Bel-Air (that I can’t find any info on) and my newest, a singer 600. I’m loving the 600.

JenniePenny 07-16-2019 01:09 AM

Welcome to the board from New Hampshire. Glad you joined us!

QuiltnNan 07-16-2019 02:46 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

QuiltMom2 07-16-2019 03:12 AM

You've come to the right place! I have avoided the urge to collect old sewing machines but I love to look at them and there's some folks who post regularly in the antique and vintage section.

SillySusan 07-16-2019 05:03 AM

Hi and Welcome from North Carolina! You've come to the right place for friends who collect, fix, love those old sewing machines. Enjoy!

osewme 07-16-2019 05:06 AM

Howdy & welcome from Texas. You will like it here as this board is full of knowledge. There are several great people here who know a lot about fixing up older machines so ask questions & you will surely find an answer. I do have to warn you that this board is addicting. :)

Iceblossom 07-16-2019 06:18 AM

Welcome aboard, I think it was LeonF who recently said a line about men needing to learn how to use power machines with needles. LOL, I think that's great and might make up a t-shirt that says "Power Machine" on top, a picture of a sewing machine, and then "with Needles" on the bottom.

Welcome to the board!

I don't do as much as I once did cleaning up and renovating sewing machines. I used to get them and gave them to a charity that gave them to immigrant families. Recently though my mom told me to take the nice Sears machine I gave her years ago, it's been sitting in the garage near the salt water. I'm hoping that a bit of oil will be all it needs but it might be ruined now... haven't opened up the case to look yet.

annievee 07-16-2019 10:19 AM

Welcome, love my 600 series Singer also.

sprice 07-17-2019 06:33 AM

Welcome from Virginia--you'll find lots of inspiration here!

leonf 07-17-2019 10:21 AM

I stole the power tools line from
  • chris_quilts I sometimes call them power tools with thread, too.

I too am a gear head in love with old machines and that is how I got here. Your BelAir is a Japanese clone. Most likely a clone of a Singer 66, 15 or 99. Their manuals can be used.

if you want a huge challenge, find a locked up Necchi Supernova. Very close tolerances and stuffed full of mechanical wonders. They often lock up if they haven't been used for a while and the old oil hardens.