Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello! Brand new to the wonderful world of Quilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-brand-new-wonderful-world-quilting-t291984.html)

Alyssum 10-19-2017 03:40 PM

Hello! Brand new to the wonderful world of Quilting!

Hello all and Good Evening from Washington State, USA.

I was shopping for my Momma at Joann's the other day and saw a Christmas Vacation fabric....8 yards of it! For some odd reason, I was completely inspired to attempt my very first quilt.

My Momma is a wonderful seamstress and doll/bear maker. She has gotten some soreness in her joints lately and has taken a bit of a step back from fabric-things. But she has loved that I was inspired and plans to help walk me through this...however, she never got into quilting ;)

So! I did some Pinteresting and found that while there's a lot of info for beginners, it's still very overwhelming to get a good start. I found this forum and was Elated! I can only hope to form some friendships and learn from the very best!

Love and friendship to you all!

Alyssum :)

Tartan 10-19-2017 03:47 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You can watch the YouTube videos done by Jenny Doan for the Missouri Star Quilt co. She has tutorials for table runners to quilts.

cathyvv 10-19-2017 04:29 PM

You came to the right place! Enjoy your journey and I can't wait to see a picture of your first quilt...well, I can wait, but I don't want to!

ptquilts 10-19-2017 04:30 PM

welcome! We look forward to seeing your quilt!

SusieQOH 10-19-2017 05:04 PM

Hi Allyssum! Glad you're here. You are in for a treat!
Ask away when you have questions and be sure to show us pics when you have them.
As another said- Jenny Doan from Missouri Star quilt Company has wonderful tutorials on Youtube. (and there are others but hers tend to be easier)

D.Henson 10-19-2017 05:07 PM

Welcome from CA. OMG, you will be hooked! Quilting is so much fun and this Message Board will be a great asset to you. I learned to sew watching Jenny at MSQC. Great videos! So much fun! Ask any question to this board ~. These people here are so amazingly helpful. :)

Thumbelina 10-19-2017 05:29 PM

Hi Alyssum, waving from NE Ohio. Looking forward to seeing your work. Welcome to our world.

QuiltnNan 10-19-2017 05:32 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

zozee 10-19-2017 06:10 PM

Welcome, Allysum. You've come to the right place with questions. Someone here can always point you in the right direction if they don't know the answer off-hand. But there's a treasure trove of experience represented here.

Many of us would recommend you take a class if you have a quilt shop nearby. There's nothing quite like having a teacher in person guide you and answer your questions immediately as they arise. That's a benefit over YouTube, is the interactive element. It would be money well spent, in my opinion, and you'd have a quilt to show for it.

Boston1954 10-19-2017 06:38 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma. Hope to see some pictures soon.