Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello, from CT (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-ct-t17184.html)

alimaui 03-03-2009 09:38 AM

Hello Ladies,

My name is Alicia, I am from CT. I am new quilter. I worked on a couple projects with my mother and grandmother many years ago, but am now learning again, and teaching myself.

I have been perusing the board for a few months now, and decided to register because I had some burning question. I will put those in the main forum.

I inherited a machine from my husband's grandmother. Its a Singer machine from the 1950's. I was happy to receive a machine, it is an oldie, but a goodie. I am curious how many of the ladies here use the older machines, and if you think you are hindered in your creativity without some of the whiz bang features that the newer computerized machines offer.

Deara 03-03-2009 10:09 AM

Hello & Welcome Alicia from North Carolina.
I have an older Brother with the basic stitches.
So far being new to quilting I haven't had a need for something with more bells and whistles.
Deara

Moonpi 03-03-2009 10:13 AM

Welcome Alicia! Sewing machines have come a long ways, but when it comes down to it, most piecing is just straight stitching. I admit some envy when I hear people talking about their longarm marvels, or fancy embroiderers, but I think most would agree we use whatever will "Get 'er Done".

Jim's Gem 03-03-2009 11:22 AM

Welcome from Southern California

pocoellie 03-03-2009 11:40 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you joined us. Lots of friendly, talented people on board and will help in any way they can. My personal machines are 2 newer elna's, 2 old Singer's(30's), 2 Kenmore's(70's)Montgomery Wards(50's)and a Husqvuarna. I like all of them.LOL They all have their uses.

Mplsgirl 03-03-2009 12:15 PM

Welcome from Illinois. I have a Featherweight 221 - quite old - works better than my newer Singer. Quilters didn't always have machines and made magnificent quilts!

alimaui 03-03-2009 12:19 PM

Thanks all for the responses. Pre current machine, I desperately wanted a machine like my mother's (made of metal). I was super excited when I received my current one. It is ridiculously heavy, and for most purposes permanently attached to its table, but I enjoy the sturdiness of the machine. I do get a little worried every now and then, should something break, and I am unable to find replacement parts, but it is humming for now.

Janstar 03-03-2009 01:15 PM

Wecome from Washington state.

sewjoyce 03-03-2009 04:30 PM

Hi Alicia and Welcome from southern Indiana!

sharon b 03-03-2009 04:34 PM

Hi and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! I have newer Brother machines, two fancier and one basic... I like the basic machine best because I am not afriad of breaking something and having to pay a lot of money to get it fixed :lol: . The cheaper one seems more solid :roll: Go figure
Sharon